26 | unspoken truth

"You can't keep this from her forever; you know she will find out soon," John said

It was early in the morning, and we were already in the midst of a heated argument—what a great way to start the day!

"She won't find out. I've already instructed everyone not to mention her at all, or they'll face consequences," I retorted as I settled into my office chair.

"Leon, this isn't just about you anymore. Do you truly see Charlotte for who she is, or do you merely associate her with..." John's voice grew louder.

"That's enough! I see Charlotte for who she is, and the past is behind us. I've moved on, and I won't allow any mention of it around Charlotte," I shouted, abruptly ending the conversation and dismissing John from my office.

It was surreal how much they looked alike, as if the moon goddess had given me a replacement with the same appearance but a different personality. At times, I found myself getting tangled up in their similarities and differences.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

I picked up the telephone, and a booming voice filled my ears. "Alpha Leon, the papers I sent you haven't been returned in two weeks. What's going on?"

"You better have them completed today and have the beta send them over. Otherwise, I'll have no choice but to remove you from your position as alpha. This segment is of utmost importance to the werewolves," he warned before hanging up without waiting for my response.

I sighed, feeling overwhelmed by the multitude of responsibilities on my plate.

I woke up with a small smile on my face. Last night had been filled with love and warmth.

When he asked me if I could go to therapy with him, I saw it.

I saw that same smile he gave her, and for a moment, he was smiling at me the same way. The dimples on his face practically begged me to burst with happiness.

This was the first time I saw it, and I hoped to see it again soon.

I opened the drawer with their photos once more, and as I glanced through them, a piece of envelope I had never seen before slipped to the floor. I picked it up and carefully opened it.

The letter inside read:

"You will always be the one I loved the most. Thank you for filling up the darkness in my heart with your light; these past few years with you have been wonderful.

I will miss your smile, your eyes, and everything about you. You were so special to me that nothing could ever replace you. You have no idea how I felt, but still, thank you so much for everything.

Leon."

I read the letter repeatedly, trying to digest its contents. Where was this girl now? What was her name?

If she was the one Leon loved the most, then where did I fit into all of this?

If nothing could replace her, why was I here?

I didn't want to stay in a place where I didn't truly belong. She was the rightful luna of this pack, not me. I felt like a temporary replacement meant to mend his broken heart for a time.

The letter and pictures still in my hand, I heard the door fly open.

Oh no, I wasn't supposed to go snooping through his things. He would be furious that I didn't trust him.

It was too late to back out now. Come on, Charlotte, use your brain and think of some excuses.

The footsteps grew louder, and I saw a shadow approaching. It was now or never; at worst, I might be asked to leave the pack.

"It's not what it looks like. I was just doing some spring cleaning and stumbled upon all these things," I stammered as I turned around.

Is that really the best excuse you could come up with, Charlotte?

Adrenaline flooded my system, pumping and pounding as if it were trying to escape. My heart threatened to explode, and my eyes were wide with fear.

My body urged me to run for the hills or reach for a crate of weaponry, but I stayed where I was. There was really only one thing I could do—face the consequences head-on.

Vote, comment and follow me for updates!

rose,
xoxo