17 | try harder

My face betrayed my concern, and Kenzie's words continued to gnaw at the corners of my mind

My face betrayed my concern, and Kenzie's words continued to gnaw at the corners of my mind. The weight of what lay ahead weighed heavily on my shoulders.

Sensing my unease, Leon leaned in and spoke gently, his fingertips grazing my cheeks as he reassured me, "Hey, I'll still train you, okay? I promised you, and I don't go back on my word." His tender touch sent a faint blush creeping across my cheeks.

We lingered in that intimate moment for a while, finding solace in each other's presence. Eventually, I gathered the determination to stand up, conscious of the limited time we had for training. To my surprise, John was also there, seemingly materializing out of thin air.

After a series of stretches to limber up, Leon directed me to spar with John. Yes, John. The notion was daunting, considering my lack of combat experience.

John assumed a poised stance, his eyes focused and ready for my first move. With cautious steps, I inched forward, launching a tentative strike toward his abdomen. But John, with the agility of a seasoned fighter, effortlessly sidestepped my attack. My attempts to land punches on his jaw proved futile, as he deftly defended himself.

During an unforeseen counterattack, John landed a punch in my stomach, causing me to wince. "Sorry," he swiftly apologized.

The stark reality of my vulnerability was beginning to sink in, and I started to question whether I could withstand the forthcoming battle. Kenzie's formidable strength nearly matched that of a true alpha, sending shivers down my spine at the mere thought of facing her. Her strength, combined with her alpha blood, made her a formidable adversary. Although I also possessed alpha blood, it felt like a dormant power, barely within my grasp.

Leon watched our spar in silence, occasionally emitting low growls of disapproval whenever John's punches landed or when I suffered minor injuries. At times, I wondered whether it was Leon who was training me or if, inadvertently, it was John.

After enduring a string of consecutive losses, I was thoroughly spent, my body soaked in sweat. I glanced over at John, who still appeared brimming with energy. He approached me, offering words of encouragement, "It's okay. You'll do better. I can train you too, if you'd like."

Before I could respond, Leon swiftly intervened, his arms encircling mine as he positioned himself in front of me. With a stern look, he addressed John, "No, I'll be training her. Your role here is to spar with her."

John couldn't resist a playful tease, "Cool down, Leon. Are you feeling jealous?" I chuckled softly at their exchange, while Leon responded with an endearing growl, his feigned annoyance evident.

Leon turned his attention back to me, his voice filled with determination. "Come with me," he urged, grasping my hand as we moved to sit on a substantial boulder nearby.

As we prepared to resume our training, Kenzie interrupted, stating that it was her turn to use the training area. She batted her long lashes at Leon and asked if he would stay, hinting that she might need his assistance.

My initial instinct was to depart, concerned about the potential mistreatment I might face from Leon's mother. However, before I could take a step, Leon politely declined, citing more pressing matters that required his attention. We walked together back to his house, where Lily eagerly awaited my return.

Lily was practically bursting with questions as soon as she saw me. "Oh my god! I have so much to tell you. But first, are you and Kenzie really fighting for the luna position? How are you holding up? Do you think you can win?"

Overwhelmed by her rapid-fire inquiries, I opted for a simple solution and embraced Lily, who warmly reciprocated the hug. John added a touch of humor to the situation, teasing Lily about her bombardment of questions as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

Leon and I exchanged knowing smiles as we observed the playful banter between John and Lily. Leon gestured toward them, his expression amused as he remarked, "You guys..."

With that, Lily grabbed my hand and led me upstairs, announcing, "Leon, I'm borrowing your mate for a while. I'll return her tonight." 

tried to write but I still have an essay to do.

vote, comment and follow me for more updates!! ♡︎

rose,
xoxo