Home Sweet Home

"Yeah baby you guys can keep playing until I come back downstairs. I just have to go get something out of mommy's room, okay?"

The twins hardly regarded Beyoncé as they quickly took off running towards their play room.

She shook her head lightly with a faint smile, the energy they always seemed to have was something to marvel at.

Once they were out of sight her smile faded. She now released a somber sigh looking towards the steps.

Onika always knew when Beyoncé was there to get the kids, and at this time of night she was usually off in her office getting last minute work done so she could enjoy her weekends, she'd only come out to kiss the twins goodbye.

Knowing this was the only thing that allowed Beyoncé to make her way up the stairs into the bedroom the two once shared.

Though she knew Onika's head was downstairs buried in her desktop and paperwork she still entered cautiously. A strange feeling washed over her seeing the bedroom remained nearly exactly how it was when she once lived there. The only thing different being her things gone of course.

It surprised her, this wasn't like Onika. She was a woman who consistently changed things, especially when tragedy struck. Beyoncé briefly recalled when her sister passed, Onika uprooted their family from Houston relocating to NewYork. She bought brand new furniture and found a home that was nowhere near reminiscent of their last. Her office at work would go through slight remodels anytime she didn't close a deal, or dropped the ball on a big opportunity, or hell even when she fired someone. Their wardrobes were basically a revolving door of new things, it would be more likely hell froze over before you saw Onika in the same outfit twice.

Beyoncé was positive after she moved out signifying the true finalization of their divorce she would've wasted no time remodeling their bedroom. Yet here she stood nothing at all disrupted, it all looked exactly the same.

Shaking the thought from her head Beyoncé turned towards the dresser; there the small box sat. When she moved out she had done it in one sweep high on emotion not wanting to be there any longer than she had to, and never wanting to return. In her haste she had forgotten her great grandmothers ring that had been passed down through the family.

Beyoncé and Onika's interactions were always brief and focused primarily on the kids. But every now and then Beyoncé would quietly ask for the ring back and Onika's response was always the same. "You're more than welcome to come get it." This was usually followed by silence from Beyoncé.

After a while she simply stopped asking. But next week she was supposed to be getting married. The start of a new life and a new journey. It was a tradition for the Knowles women to wear the ring on their right hand on that special day.

Memories of their wedding day flooded Beyoncé's mind. She quickly shoved them aside taking steps towards the dresser. It was time she took the ring back now, it was time she removed the last bit of her that remained from Onika's life.

Of course it couldn't be this easy though. Her heart skipped a beat when she heard the sound of the bedroom door closing. Her eyes darted up into the mirror, Onika's eyes met hers. She released a small sigh before willing herself to slowly turn around.

"I just came to get the ring- my ring." Her voice was small.

Onika released a soft, short chuckle with a knowing smile. It didn't reach her eyes though.

"Next week is your lucky day, huh." She folded her arms below her breast leaning against the door. She always did this when she wanted to talk.

"You uhm, you haven't changed much at all." Beyoncé looked over the room attempting to change the topic.