Chapter One-Part One

The night air was crisp and filled with cheering. Students of Middleton all danced and hollered, plenty enjoying a can of beer. Cheerleaders were tossed in the air as the football coach screamed over the noise,

      "It's been a rough year, no doubt, but that all ends Saturday!" A large wooden statue with the letters 'Princeton' covering it raised into the air. "Because that's when this team, my Warriors, are gonna burn those lazy, cocky, pansy-ass Princeton players to the ground!" The structure set aflame, causing even more hollering to erupt. "Ain't that right Middleton?!" Shouts drowned out all other sounds as the celebration continued throughout the night.
~~~~~
      Deep in the woods, the sounds of a party could not be heard. Instead, what was audible was the bickering between two college students.

      "Don't tell me how to feel right now." One of them, a young dark-skinned woman, snapped in response to a boy with brown hair. Karmen leaned against a tree, her heart pounding in her rib cage.

      "Hey." She flinched, while the dark-skinned woman, Michaela, let out an audible gasp. Karmen turned towards the boy who had run up to the terrified group. "Sorry I took so long. I went back for this." The boy, Wes, reached in his bag and pulled out something that made Karmen frown deeply. It was an easily recognizable bronze trophy of Lady Justice.

      "Y-you take that back right now." Michaela stuttered.

      "No." Another woman with long brown hair breathed out, and Karmen nodded her head in agreement. "It's smart." She ran a hand through her blonde locks for the hundredth time that night. 

      "The People vs. Gallivan! Pennsylvania vs. Gottlieb! Cases the prosecution should've won but lost because there was no murder weapon..." The brunette, Laurel, stood.

      "So what are you saying?" Connor, the boy with brown hair, spoke up and asked.

      "We clean it up and put it back." A girl with curled dark brown hair, Alyssa, declared, catching onto what Laurel was implying. 

      "After we bury the body." Laurel's sentence made Karmen grimace, although she realized the brunette was right about disposing of the body. However, not everyone agreed.

      "No. Absolutely not." Michaela spat, and Karmen pushed herself off of the tree, prepared to argue.

      "I-I agree with Michaela and Alyssa." Connor voiced, and Laurel immediately protested.

      "No, Connor think—"

      "The trophy we need, yes. But the body stays where it is." Karmen shook her head.

      "No, the body is what gets us caught." She disputed in a venomous tone. All heads snapped towards her as she tried to explain further, "Think of all the DNA on that thing!"

      "You are not thinking straight." Michaela directed her words towards both Karmen and Laurel, who exchanged a look of discreet panic.

      "What do you suggest?" Laurel fired back.

      "Something that doesn't involve carrying a body across campus on the busiest night of the year!" Karmen sighed deeply, knowing Michaela had a point. She still thought that they had to dispose of the corpse, but maybe they didn't have to bury it...

      "She's right, Laurel. Even if we were able to get it out of the house, unseen, the ground is frozen—" Laurel interrupted Connor and said,

      "We have all night to dig." Karmen's eyebrows scrunched together in thought. What could they do besides bury the body? 

      "This is murder! None of us know what we're talking about!" Laurel brought the blonde out of her thoughts, her voice slightly raised.