Chapter Six-Part One

"Everyone, get down!" Karmen silently dropped to the floor along with everybody else, except for Connor, who was covering his mouth so only muffled laughter could be heard.

      "Connor," Alyssa warned, but the boy didn't move.

      "Are you guys seriously trying to ignore me right now?" Asher exclaimed from the other side of the window. Connor, at last, sunk to the ground, in close proximity to the corpse.

      "And you guys call me immature!" Asher continued to drone on, but Karmen stopped listening. To be honest, she was concerned for the brunette boy's welfare. Even after seeing Michaela, he seemed to be the most messed up out of them all.

      "We should just let him in." Laurel whispered, and everyone's head whipped towards her. "If he's been in the house, he'll suddenly be a part of it, you know, seven of us witnessed him here." Connor muttered something, and then Rebecca,

      "We can get him to step in the blood, it's not a bad idea." She said. Karmen hated that she agreed, but she did.

      "No! He wasn't part of this." Wes, being the moral puppy, interjected.

      "You think I wanted to be a part of this?" Connor barked in a low tone.

      "Wait, listen." She paid attention after Laurel's statement and realized that there was no more banging and screaming from Asher. They all waited as Castillo checked outside the window.

      "He's gone." Karmen released a breath she didn't know she was holding.

       "I texted him." She glanced towards Michaela, who was now standing. Her voice sounded surprisingly clear. "Told him I was at the library." Karmen tugged at the sleeves of her grey sweater, disappointed in herself. She was ready to take down an innocent. She may have disliked him, but that didn't mean he deserved to go down for murder; not like the rest of them.
~~~~~
      When Karmen got to class, one of the first things she noticed was the trophy on Wes's desk, but no Wes. She saw Alyssa and Laurel eyeing the empty seat as well.

      "Take your seats." Annalise's voice boomed out, and she appeared before the class. "We have a lot to get through today. Our lesson, Habeas Corpus, which translates into 'produce the body'." She wrote on the chalkboard, and then turned around.

      "Who can tell us how that applies to the case Fay versus Noia?" Hands raised, and Karmen watched as Annalise's eyes landed on the statue, and her features transformed slightly. They all waited for her to call on somebody, but her gaze was distant. Karmen and Alyssa exchanged worried glances, and that was when Michaela stood.

      "Fay v Noia declared an individual whose imprisonments don't meet the requirements of the law must be released. This is done by way of Habeas Corpus, A.K.A to produce the body." Professor Keating looked at Michaela.

      "Thanks, Ms. Pratt." Michaela sat down.

      "Who can tell us what happens in a Habeus Corpus proceeding?" As she asked that, Bonnie stormed into the room, marching straight up to Annalise. The blonde whispered into Annalise's ear.

      "Something's come up, class dismissed. Keating Six, stick around." Annalise spoke, and students got up to leave. After everyone filed out of the class, the remaining six rose from their seats. 

      "Looks like we might become the Keating Six permanently." Connor muttered.

      "Maybe Wes is sick." Laurel suggested as they all took seats in the front.