Chapter Four-Part One

Connor and Alyssa entered the room, and Connor immediately walked over to Michaela, who was crouched down in the corner, panting heavily.

      "Michaela!" He snapped. "Stand up, we need to leave. Do you understand?"When she said nothing, Connor banged his fist against the bookshelf. "Michaela!"

      "Connor, stop!" Alyssa rushed over to him, placing her hand on his arm. The brunette led him away, and Karmen bent down to Michaela's level.

      "Michaela." She said softly, "We need to leave now." The girl continued to hyperventilate, so she reached her hand out. "Hey, look at me."

      Karmen graced her face with a smile as she tried her best to reassure the girl. "Everything's gonna be okay." She knew it was a lie, but it was the only thing that would help at that moment. Tears streamed down Michaela's cheeks.

      "Can you hear me?" Karmen whispered. "Michaela?"

      "Her little perfect brain doesn't know how to handle any of this!" She glared at Connor as he rambled on. Rebecca, who was tucked under Wes's arms, whispered something back to him, quiet enough so that the two in the corner couldn't hear.

      "Michaela, get up!" Connor went back over to where Karmen and Michaela huddled.

      "Here's what we do." Wes started, standing up. "You guys take Michaela to the woods, I'll get Rebecca out of here." Karmen looked back to the panicking girl. 

      "W-you're just gonna leave?" Connor asked.

      "She can't be here, you know that." Waitlist argued. Karmen's hand lifted from Michaela's arm as Connor started to laugh.

      "We're so screwed." She wasn't sure who was worse; Michaela or Connor.

      "It's gonna be fine." Alyssa stepped up to Connor, placing her hands on his biceps. She noticed the boy's eyes soften a sliver, and she returned her attention to Michaela.

      "Hey, you're gonna have to trust me." She tried in her smoothest voice. Then, there was a knock at the front door, followed by a yell,

      "Hey!" She recognized it as Asher. "Hey, are you guys in there?" Karmen rose off of the ground. 

      "Oh god, Asher's here." She muttered while running both of her hands through her blonde locks. 

      "I see your car in the driveway, Connor!" Asher hollered in an icy tone. "Open the door!" He banged on the door repeatedly.

      "What is he doing here?" Laurel lowly questioned. 

       "It's my fault." Michaela breathed out, and Connor let out another chuckle.

      "Of course it's her fault!" He pointed at the girl in the corner. "I mean who else's fault would it be, right?"

      "Connor." Karmen stated his name as a threat, and Asher continued to call from outside,

      "Is Michaela in there with you? I want my freakin' trophy back!" She groaned. Of course, he came for the stupid trophy. Laurel went over to the windows and peeked outside. She soon jerked back and commanded quietly,

      "Everyone, get down!" Karmen silently dropped to the floor along with everybody else, except for Connor, who was covering his mouth so only muffled laughter could be heard.