Chapter Seven-Part Two

The next day in court, Karmen seated herself on a bench, and Alyssa sat next to her.

      "How was your date last night?" Alyssa asked while the two engaged in conversation. Karmen's smile grew.

      "It was great. We went to a semi-fancy dinner place, and it was just so much fun. Shawn's a really good guy."

      "That's good to hear. How'd you guys end your date?" Karmen blinked a few times at the question, wondering the intent of her friend.

      "In his car when I told him goodbye." She stated. After that, the two continued speaking to each other, and Connor pitched in to say something snarky a few times. Soon enough, the trial had begun, and the forensic expert was on the stand.

      "So the size, shape, and curvature of the perforations and the postmortem color tint all support my conclusion that these are fingernail puncture wounds." Dr. Turner analyzed to the courtroom.

      "And you believe that the bruising pattern here points to hand size?" Mr. Keagan asked after pointing to the screen, which displayed the marks on Lila's neck.

      "Precisely. Someone with small hands." 

      "Thank you, Dr. Turner. Nothing further." The prosecutor returned to his spot, and it was then Keating's turn to cross-examine.

      "Dr. Turner," Annalise started, standing from her seat. "Let's talk about Commonwealth vs Holden. A murder trial that you provided expert testimony at last year that helped convict the defendant." 

      "Actually, I think the fact that Mr. Holden was guilty of murder helped convict him." Karmen heard Keagan chuckle from his desk.

      "I have an internal report from the D.A's office that questions the methods and conclusions of your work in the Holden case." Professor Keating went on.

      "Objection, lack of foundation, Your Honor." Keagan was followed by Parks.

      "I object as well. I haven't seen this report, but even if it checks out it's hearsay."

      "It falls squarely within the business records exception." Annalise defended, and when the judge didn't speak, she continued. "So let's ask Dr. Turner if he was made aware of the report. Perhaps when the D.A's office banned you as an expert witness because of your negligent work?" Both Keagan and Parks voiced their protests.

      "Dr. Turner. Were you aware such a report exists?" The judge ignored the two and instead directed her attention to Eric, who sighed.

      "Yes, Your Honor but—"

      "Nothing further." Keating interrupted, and whispers spread throughout the room. 
~~~~~
      Wes had gone to the pathologist who first examined Lila and convinced him to be put on the stand, and Annalise currently asked him,

      "When you performed the original autopsy, what did you think the red marks on Lila's neck were?"

      "Is that possible given that Lila Stangard's body was in a water tank for several days?" Annalise inquired.

      That makes it even more likely. The culic species thrives in water-based environments." He responded.

      "Nothing further." 
~~~~~
      "There's one more way to block the motion." Annalise said as she led the way out of the courtroom, the law students right behind her.

      "Convince Lila's parents to make a statement against the exhumation. You figure that out, you get a reward better than the trophy." She told them, and Karmen's eyes lit up with interest. 
~~~~~
      The next day, the Keating Six, plus Wes and Rebecca, all silently analyzed their individual files, until Michaela entered.