Chapter Eight

This chapter is a bit shorter than the others, so I'm just putting it all in one part. Happy reading!

      "Sometimes we're not responsible for our own actions." Annalise stated in the classroom. "Because sometimes we behave not like thinking, thoughtful human beings, but as animals. Such as the case of Gretchen Thomas." She clicked her remote, and the TV flickered to life, displaying a photo of the client. 

      "A successful real estate agent, wife, mother. Like many, a high-powered professional stress and anxiety both a part of her daily routine." Keating explained. "So she takes her prescription sleeping pill before bed. It's side effects have caused her to buy clothes online, cook or make meals, and even initiate sex with her husband. All while completely unconscious." Karmen's eyes trailed away from her notebook and towards her professor. 

      "And then this happened." The screen changed, and Annalise played a video for the class. It was security footage from Gretchen's home, where said woman was dragging a corpse through her hall.

      "This is Ms. Thomas on her home security system, dragging her nanny's dead body out of the house. And what does she do? She begins to clean up the mess." On the television, Gretchen was using a hose on the dead body.

      "Now we all know the feeling. We've had a bad dream, we know we're asleep. But try as we might we just can't seem to wake ourselves up." 
~~~~~
      Karmen was crammed against her peers inside of Gretchen's kitchen, her and her two children in the room as well.

      "I am sorry that I wasn't able to get to your office, it's Mia's thirteenth birthday this weekend," she nodded her head towards the brown-haired girl sitting on a bar stool, "and planning has been crazy. Who would have thought it to be so difficult to find a DJ?" Karmen tried her best to hide the confusion that bubbled inside of her. After the murder of her nanny, Mrs. Thomas was concerned about a birthday?

      "We really need your undivided attention." Annalise said just as a phone began to ring.

      "Oh, finally." Gretchen picked up the phone and pressed it against her ear. "Ricardo? Hi, I'm so happy that you called." Karmen exchanged glances with Alyssa, and the blonde mouthed, 'why?'. Alyssa shook her head in response. 

      "Now, I know you don't usually do kids parties, but I'm going to prison any minute..." Alyssa muttered something inaudible under her breath. As Gretchen continued to converse, Annalise glided up to the woman. She snatched the phone from the murder suspect.

      "You're on trial for first degree murder, put the phone down so we can prep for your testimony." Professor Keating commanded.

      "I've changed my mind. I don't want to take the stand." Gretchen stated, and then walked around Annalise. She zoned out as the woman's husband tried to convince her otherwise.

      "If she wants to go to jail, dad, let her." A low voice rang out, and her eyes traveled towards the teenager who leaned against the door frame. 

      "Your mother is not going to jail, Cody." The husband argued.

      "Gretchen, I understand this is difficult for you, but as your attorney I need to put you in the stand so I can establish that you had no motive to kill Elke. The jury needs to believe you two were close." Professor Keating explained.

      "We were close." Gretchen started. "Can you imagine waking up to realize that you killed someone you loved? That's what I did. And I'm sorry, but if the jury thinks that I should go to prison, I agree. I should pay for this sin."
~~~~~
      "Since we can't put Gretchen on the stand, we're having the people who love her." Bonnie handed out folders to each of the students. "Her family testifies to her history of sleepwalking. So tomorrow, each of you will act as prosecutors prepping each of the Thomas's for their moment in the sun. Dig in." Karmen flipped her file open to reveal Cody, Gretchen's son.