Chapter Twelve-Part One

~Alyssa POV~

      Her presence had been requested at Wes's as soon as she heard the news. Alyssa raced over, and when she got there, Michaela and Connor were already in the room. She stood near Michaela, on the opposite end of the room as Connor. The two hadn't spoken a word to each other, but she was too concerned about the news to dwell on it.

      "She's setting us up." Connor claimed as the group rewatched the broadcast on Sam.

      "What are you talking about?" Michaela inquired as Walsh peeked out the window. 

      "Look, you don't just find body parts in a landfill. A body, for sure. A head, a hand, but not charred-up bits of someone." She cringed at the boy's description.

      "Not unless you're told where to look." Connor continued.

      "They wouldn't have found him at all if you had listened to Wes and incinerated the body." Rebecca sneered, and Alyssa rolled her eyes. Before anyone could snap back, Michaela held up her hand.

      "Wait. Why do you think Annalise would want to set us up?"

      "Annalise wouldn't—"

      "Wouldn't do that!" Connor cut Wes off with a growl. "We know, Waitlist. You suckle at the teat of our dear old professor."

      "Annalise has no reason to sell us out." Rebecca said, and Alyssa's eyes darted around the room, her brain overloading with negative thoughts.

      "She's the adult, you're the students. I'm her freaking client." Sutter hissed. "Who do you think the police want to take down more? Us or her?" Alyssa clicked her tongue.

      "All of us." There was a moment of panicked silence before the door to Wes's opened. Her chest tightened, until she realized it was only Laurel. 

      "Can you knock next time?" Connor groaned.

      "I just talked to Frank. He said we're being watched, so it's important we don't freak out." She explained, and Rebecca scoffed.

      "Too late for this one." The group ignored her, and Walsh asked,

      "What did he say about Annalise?"

      "He didn't."

      "Well, call him back." Connor retorted, and the brunette shook her head.

      "I can't. The calls we make can become evidence used against us." At that, the brown-haired boy chuckled.

      "Of course. We can't call the one person who said they'd protect us." Alyssa bit her lip. A thought then occurred to her, and she questioned aloud,

      "Is Karmen coming?" Pairs of eyes landed on her, and she cocked a brow.

      "What? You guys don't trust her, or...?" 

      "I thought you would call her. It's fine, though. I'm sure she'll be okay." Wes assured, and she exhaled deeply.

      "I'm going to go call her." She stated, feeling eyes burning into her. She ignored it, as she knew exactly who it was. 
~~~~~
~Karmen POV~

      Karmen sat in class with a substitute professor, as Annalise was absent. The fact sent nerves through her body, which soon subsided when Professor Keating entered the room. The other professor left, and Annalise started into a lecture.

      "I've opted to depart from the syllabus today." She erased what was written on the board and replaced it with the words 'fifth amendment'.