Chapter Twelve-Part Two

Bonnie lost the trial. Karmen and the rest were forced out of the house and into the lawn as police searched through the house. Laurel soon approached the group, a phone clutched in her hand.

      "What's that?" Connor motioned to the gadget.

      "A burner. Frank said he'd let me know the second anything happens." She explained.

      "Oh, like when they find microscopic bits of Sam's blood scattered in the cracks of the floor." Michaela muttered nervously.

      "Everything's been cleaned." Wes tried, but Connor fired back,

      "That's what she wants us to think." Karmen pinched her lips together, her heart pounding in her chest.

      "Karmen." Alyssa nudged the girl, and she glanced to where Hubbard was nodding. She groaned when she saw Shawn hovering by the street.

      "You're not going to like what I have to say, but hear me out. If you're not happy, break it off." Alyssa whispered to her, and she shoved hair away from her face.

      "Yeah, I heard you the first time. And the second." Karmen mumbled before breaking away from her peers. When Shawn noticed her, his lips curled upwards. 

      "Hi."

      "Hey. What are you doing here?" She placed her hands in the pockets of her grey coat while Shawn shrugged.

      "I heard what was going on. I wanted to make sure you were okay."

      "Why wouldn't I be okay?" She inquired, the nerves in her core threatening to display on her face. She did her best to smile as he responded,

      "I don't know. It's pretty crazy stuff going on." She dipped her head.

      "Yeah. I'm fine, though. So you can go." His jaw tightened, and his eyes flickered with irritation. 

      "Are you sure?" He asked, his voice calm, although Karmen swore she detected some anger hidden in his words.

      "Yes." She stated firmly. The boy audibly huffed.

      "Karmen, you know I'm just worried about you." Her hand fell out of her pocket, and she then raised it to her head.

      "I didn't ask you to be." She had to get him out. There was a chance she would break down out of nerves, or somebody came out of the house after finding Sam's blood, like Michaela said.

      "So, what, you just want me to not care about you? Is that it?" His voice level elevated, and she shook her head.

      "No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I have people here, though. We're looking out for each other." Shawn's eyes trailed towards her group of colleagues.

      "Oh, I get it. You've got that guy...Connor, right?" Her brows shot up.

      "What, are you jealous?" His hands clenched into fists, and she cocked her head to the side. She'd never seen him to be the jealous type before.

      "Should I be?" She was slightly taken aback by his question.

      "Connor's my friend." She seethed, her temper rising.

      "You seem to want your friends around more than me." She threw both her hands up into the air.

      "My friends don't accuse me of cheating. They also don't suffocate me." She snapped.

      "Oh, you've got to be kidding. Suffocating you? I want to know that you're safe, wherever you are." She shook her head.

      "No, you want to know where I am, and what I'm doing, because you're a dominant male asshole!" She shouted the last part, causing a few heads to turn. She inhaled shakily, her next words a mere whisper,