Chapter Five-Part Two

As the body burned, Laurel's phone once again went off. Karmen paused, looking to the brunette with a dumbfounded expression.

      "You didn't turn your phone off?"

      "That Frank again?" Connor asked before Laurel could answer Karmen. "Guy's whipped." He remarked.

      "You should answer it." Wes offered, causing heads to whirl in his direction.

      "He's the last person I want to talk to right now." Laurel responded sadly. 

      "It strengthens our alibi, moron. You can hear the bonfire in the background." Michaela snapped, and Karmen narrowed her eyes at the girl's newfound ability to form sentences.

      "She's right. I'm sorry if you don't want to talk to him, but it would really help us." Alyssa attempted to persuade Laurel, who sighed heavily. She placed the phone to her ear.

      "What?" She instantly snipped. There was a pause.

      "The bonfire. Stop calling me." She insisted. After that, Laurel walked a little away from the group, out of earshot. Karmen figured she should make sure nobody had called her, so she grabbed her phone from her pocket. Luckily, all she had was a single text from Shawn. She groaned, and left it unopened.
~~~~~
      It was the officers on the stand now. The prosecutor stood before an older policeman with greying hair.

      "I always liked Sharon. But it's hard for me to believe what she's claiming about Anthony. I worked by his side for eight years. That's just not the guy I knew." Karmen was filing through her notes, and continued to do so as the prosecution spoke. She heard Michaela's voice from the other side of Connor.

      "Are you seriously looking for sex right now?" She whispered to the boy, and Karmen glanced down at his phone. He was, in fact, on "HumpR", looking at pictures of abs.

      "There are a lot of hot guys around here." He muttered back, and Laurel shushed them.

      "Do you believe that Officer Remini could ever have harmed his wife?" With no hesitation, the officer supplied a response.

      "No. The opposite, really. He was very protective of Sharon. She was fragile. He called her everyday, several times, just to check up on her." And that's only protectiveness? That seems like a male dominance thing more than anything. But somehow, the jury seemed convinced.
~~~~~
      Back at Annalise's house, the group was silently working on their individual things. That was, until Asher spoke up.

      "Does anyone else think sexy librarian is a lesbian?" He held up her picture. "I mean she just stares at Annalise's boobs all the time." She rolled her eyes, and chose to ignore Connor's response. 

       "Can we all focus?" Laurel seemed irritated, rightfully so. "Please?"

      "Okay, look. Your emotional scorecard is cute, and pointless, like a dumb blonde." Karmen cocked her head at the analogy. "They need to vote on evidence."

      "Yeah, and my study group needs this outline by eight a.m." Michaela looked away from her computer to answer.

      "Honestly, I've got like six guys on my jock, so I kind of need to focus." She mentally facepalmed.

      "You're sexting six guys right now? Are there apps like that for straight people?" Karmen didn't know how much more of these people she could handle. Laurel clearly felt the same, as she got up and left the room.