Chapter 34

Isaac and Taylor were still in the middle of discussing their game plan, when the familiar door swung open.

"Well, well, well," said the voice on the other side, startling them both, "I was wondering what was taking so long.  I knew Diana Hanson wasn't going to last long before she sent in the troops."  Her tone was playful, yet the two boys remained frozen on the front porch.
"You guys plan on coming in?" Kayla finally asked, as she stepped back and held the door open for her childhood friends. 

Taylor and Isaac exchanged a quick glance before stepping forward.  They both felt like they'd been sucked into a time warp.  It had been 10 solid years since they'd stepped foot into the home, and everything looked exactly the same.

"I know," Kayla said, closing the door behind the two men, "It's like stepping into a time machine.  People come and clean but no one's been in here since..." Kayla trailed off.  Isaac and Taylor knew why, "Well I don't know since when," Kayla continued, catching herself, "I didn't think you guys had left all your stuff too, though."

There was a heavy silence enveloping the three friends.  It was awkward, and it was tense.  

"Listen," Kayla began again, "I know this is weird, and I know you guys probably hate me, and I for sure owe everyone an explanation," she was on the verge of tears, "but I promise I am not here to make any trouble for anyone.  Least of all your mother and..." she trailed off again.

Isaac stepped up first.  "We've missed you.  So much," he said quietly, tears now threatening him as well.  He opened up his arms and took her into them.  She fell into his body, the tears now freely falling from her face.  They held onto each other tightly, for a few moments longer before he let go and took a step back.

She turned to Taylor; he took a deep breath before speaking, "I'm glad you're alive, and it seems like you're doing well, so I'm glad for that too, I'm just not ready," he spoke, matter of factly.  It was a blow Kayla had anticipated.  

"I get it," Kayla said, somberly, before taking a deep breath herself, "still, I know why you're here.  Especially when your mom saw me leaving earlier.  I'm surprised she wasn't waiting for me on the porch when I got back."  She was trying to keep up her playful ruse, for the sake of the awkward situation they were in, but it didn't seem to be working.  She cleared her throat, mentally reminding herself that their reaction was normal before continuing, "Anyway, you guys wanna talk?"  She stood looking at them for a few more seconds before making her way into the kitchen.  Taylor and Isaac followed as she made her way to the refrigerator, "I don't have much food, but I have water, juice, milk, some fruit; you guys want anything?"

Taylor took a seat at the island they'd conjugated around so many times before.  He felt nostalgia hit him immediately; he shook his head.  

"I'll take a water," Isaac said before taking a seat next to Taylor.  "You alright?" he mouthed to his brother.  Taylor nodded his head before diverting his eyes back to Kayla.  She turned and handed the bottle to Isaac before she sat down across the two men.  She admired them for a few moments.  They were still looked like her old, beautiful, friends to her; she knew they were in there somewhere.  For now, though, she knew she had to have a conversation with the men who now sat before her.  

"So," began Taylor, causing Kayla to fall back to the reality she was in, "you look good."

"Thanks, you guys do too.  You look the same and different all at the same time, it's so weird!" she squealed out, not able to contain herself.  She knew things would never be the same, however she'd been avoiding this moment for years out of fear that she would be rejected if she ever came back around.  "But I guess that's what happens when you let ten years go by, right?" she finished, still trying to hide behind her ruse. She wanted to break down right then and there.  To apologize for everything she'd done.  For disappearing after her accident.  After she'd lost the baby she'd conceived with their little brother.  The little brother who was obviously still avoiding her.  "He didn't want to come?" she asked, quietly, looking down at the granite counter top.  She took a few moments before she looked up at Taylor and Isaac.