Chapter Three

Chapter three

The next day was a very emotional day for Georgia and Emily. They were devastated to see their favorite neighbor go away and without no indication of where she was going. They were going to miss her smile, her positivity, her jokes and just being able to see her. Jessica, her, was extremely confused. She was completely lost and she kept thinking of what Jack told her. Who was that woman? How could she has a grandma that she never  heard about. She was at the same time scared and excited to get to know her. She had no idea of what or who to expect but a part of her felt extremely happy to know that there’s still one of her family member that is alive and she could only hope for the best to happen even though she just lost the two most important persons of her life.

The goodbyes were hard for both Jessica and her  neighbors. Georgia ought of asking her to stay and live with her but she knew Jessica already made her decision and she wasn’t allowed too. ‘I’ll try to come and see you as much as I can Jess. Write us regularly please’, said Georgia while Jessica nodded. They gave each other one last hug and Jessica went away in a taxi and went straight to the airport. It felt like a new journey for her. She was still deeply saddened by the lost of her mother and her sister and she would most probably never probably fully get over it but she knew that at least now her mom doesn’t need to overwork herself for the sake of her family and that Sam is safe with her mom her up there. Getting to the airport, she constantly thought  of all her memories they had in Goolwa in Australia and she cried a bit but she not was ready for what was awaiting her in California.

She had a 16 hour flight from Australia to California and it was the first time being an airplane for her. Still, she couldn’t stop thinking of her family. She just wished her mom was here to reassure her that everything is fine and her sister to hug her. She just wish she could see them one more time but it was too late now. She needed to accept the fact that they were gone even if it hurts. She just wish that things were different. 

She arrived in California at eight in the night and was headed to San Francisco. A man came to her and brought her directly into the car. He only asked her his name and said that his name was Julio. He was tall and looked like he was in his thirties. He was really quiet the whole travel path and he looked really odd for Jessica and she wished that her grandmother was not like him. The whole path seemed long but it look only thirty minutes to get there. When Jessica got out of the car she was surprised to see such a beautiful house. It was white, modest and had a beautiful well occupied garden. The inside was very cozy and everything looked expensive. Julio told her to wait and he went and called Rosa. Jessica couldn’t wait. She was so excited and started to roam around and look at everything. 

Suddenly came a disabled woman on a wheeling chair. She was in her fifties and looked very strict and reserved. It was Rosa Hamilton, one of the richest woman of San Francisco. She didn’t look welcoming at all and she kept an angry facial expression. Jessica ran to her and said ‘good morning grandma’ while Rosa just looked at her.  She replied, ‘Don’t call me that. I have no family and no grandchildren. I don’t know what you were expecting but let me get this clear. We are not related.’ She took a breath and said, ‘Rulio will bring you to one of the maid’s room and tomorrow I want you to be up by 6 to help the maids to do some housework. Eventually you will be sent to one of the high school here and if I hear one incident from here or if I see that your grades are satisfying enough, you will only be a full time maid.’ She called Rulio and said ‘bring her to her room. I need to go out. Tell Stella to come and help me get ready.’ Jessica felt shattered inside. She was broken. She went to her room which was a small room with a bed and a closet and she laid on her bed and cried all night. She was broken. She never felt so much humiliation. Her grandma, her own blood hated her. She thought that she would have a new and good life here but no. Everything in her life turned upside down. Everything was terrible. She felt useless, unimportant and as if no one loved her. That day, she didn’t sleep and cried all night. Little did she know, what would have happened next.