Chapter Five

Chapter five

Mrs Jenkins entered Jessica’s room and woke her up at five am. Rebecca Jenkins worked at Rosa’s house since eight years. She knew every parts of this huge house and loved her job. She was in the thirties and was a widow. She lost her husband who was battling a tumor. She never really got over it but she always put her job before anything. 

‘Jessica, wake up please. Your grandma insisted on giving you some chores before your first day at school. Don’t worry, I will help you’. Rebecca, who always wanted a child, felt furious by the way Rosa decided to treat Jessica. She was supposed to be free, enjoying life and having fun at her age and not being a maid for her unpalatable grand-mother.

Rosa asked to give Jessica all the household chores possible. Sweeping, vacuuming, washing dishes, doing laundry, helping to prepare meals, cleaning the bathrooms, dusting and so on. She felt like Cinderella. Last night, she told herself to get mentally ready for however Rosa decided to treat her. In her mind, she was just a burden for Rosa and she most likely deserved it. She came out of nowhere and disrupted Rosa’s busy life. She was a business and rich woman. She didn’t have time to take care of a moody teenager. She felt at fault and decided that she will do anything she’s asked too without complaining. She started to clean up and it took her three hours to get everything done. She was exhausted and the other maids were furious that a teenager like her is doing all of these jobs. They obviously helped her to do her chores and they loved her. Jessica was also so friendly and kind even after everything that happened to her. She always decided to keep her smile and that’s what made her such a beautiful person inside as well as outside. 

At seven, Jessica finished everything and she was asked by Rebecca to go prepare herself as it was her first day of school. Rosa didn’t want to send her to a private school cause she didn’t want anyone to know about Jessica. She just asked to send her to Presid middle school. It was a public middle school. Jessica was actually happy to be able to go to school. She saw it as a way to be able to get out of this house and that maybe one day, she will be an even more successful woman than her grandma. She missed her old school a lot and she missed her friends deeply. She was excited to meet new people and just start a new life.

Julio took her to school at eight and she was fascinated by the school. The infrastructure and the colors made everything looked so good. There was also a lot of group of students just talking and having fun. She started to walk towards the administration to get to know where her class is but all of a sudden came a group of three girls out of nowhere. They were wearing a lot of makeup and were wearing fashionable outfits while Jessica was only wearing a dark red shirt, black jeans and a pair of sneakers. ‘Look at her’, said Ester, one of the girls, ‘ where does she come from? Look at her outfit ew. Does she live in a farm?’ all the three of them started to laugh and Jessica just looked down and didn’t show her sadness and anger from this intimidation. ‘Let her alone Ester’ said Peter. Who was this good looking guy , thought Jessica. He had a muscled body, shiny brown straight hair and was wearing a white shirt and denim jeans. ‘Let her alone’ , threatened Peter to Ester. ‘Oh Peter, always having to act like an act’ said Ester on a very sarcastic tone . She then looked at Jessica and said ‘he won’t be here every time to protect you. See you in class newbie’. They walked away and Jessica was so furious. Who did they think they are? She was so angry to see such mean people who attack people for self-satisfaction. ‘You’re okay?’ Peter asked Jess. ‘Um yes I am. Thank you for doing what you did. I’m Jessica.’ “Nice to meet you Jessica, I’m Peter.’ They both felt as if they had a connection. They both felt like good friends really quick. ‘So you are new here?’ asked Peter. Jessica nodded and only told him that she lives with her grandmother in San Francisco. “Cool’ said Peter. Suddenly, the bell rang and everyone started to go to their respective classes. ‘See you later Jessica’, said Peter as he ran to his classes. Jessica went to the administration and she felt happy. She was happy that she was able to get to meet someone and deep down she felt really connected to him. She couldn’t wait to see how much more memories they would make together.