Chapter Four (+bonus)

Chapter four

-24 hours after the car accident.

Nicholas was sitting next to Jessica’s body and he was looking at her with so much love and sadness. 24 hours ago, they speaking about work, life, joking and their new year goals. And now, she’s battling between life and death and her condition was worsening. Nicholas felt terrible and was somehow blaming himself. If he insisted on bringing her home, she would be safe right now. She would not be in the bed of a hospital and nearly dying. Nicholas knew that he could have changed things but unfortunately what happened in the past cannot be changed but we are in control of what’s happening right now. The only thing he could do right now is be by her side and hope that things get better. The news about Jessica’s accident has spread overnight. Her thousands of readers were absolutely devastated. Jessica had a pristine reputation with the public. Everyone love her across the town and yet no one really knew who she was, where does she come from, if she has any family. She was a mysterious but loved woman. She was so empathic with everyone and she was always here to help. She was the best advice columnist in town and everyone was asking her for advice every time. Knowing that she may die at any time shattered a lot of readers. 

A nurse came in and told Nicholas to come to the administration. They asked him to go to Jessica’s house and inform her family about the incident as they cannot get a hold of them. ‘We got informed that Jessica has a son by the police. We have been trying to contact him but unfortunately no one is responding,’ said the nurses. A son? Nicholas never knew that Jessica is a son. She never told him that she lives with anyone. ‘I will stop by her place’, said Nicholas. The nurses gave her the key to Jessica’s house which was in her purse and Nicholas quickly went to her house.

He had been here like two or three times but just to come and pick up Jessica to work. Her house was  a modern house with a beautiful little garden. He knocked on the door and realized that no one was responding. He entered the house and was looking at how the decoration was simple, minimalistic but still beautiful. He then saw a picture of a little boy with Jessica. He was wearing dark sunglasses and it looked like some years ago as Jessica looked much older. It was written ‘Jayden’ on the frame and Nicholas was confused. Who was he? He knew Jessica for so long and she never told him about Jayden. He realized that maybe he didn’t really know who Jessica was.

He didn’t lose time inside the house and quickly went and fetch some clothes for Jessica. While taking some clothes from her closet,  a picture fell and when Nicholas took him and it was a photo of Jessica with a man and it was written ‘love you forever Jack.’ Who was Jack? Was it Jessica’s husband? Was she married? He felt a little bit jealous and suddenly felt a bit sad cause he realized that maybe Jessica and him would not be able to be together one day because of that.

He got out of the house and, as soon as, he did he got a call from the hospital telling him that Jessica’s health has got worse and that he needed to get to the hospital immediately. His heartbeat increased rapidly. What was happening? Will Jessica make it?

Chapter five(bonus)

Mrs Jenkins entered Jessica’s room and woke her up at five am. Rebecca Jenkins worked at Rosa’s house since eight years. She knew every parts of this huge house and loved her job. She was in the thirties and was a widow. She lost her husband who was battling a tumor. She never really got over it but she always put her job before anything. 

‘Jessica, wake up please. Your grandma insisted on giving you some chores before your first day at school. Don’t worry, I will help you’. Rebecca, who always wanted a child, felt furious by the way Rosa decided to treat Jessica. She was supposed to be free, enjoying life and having fun at her age and not being a maid for her unpalatable grand-mother.

(following, next week)