Chapter Eleven And Twelve

Chapter eleven

-168 hours after the accident.

It has already been one week since the accident and Jessica had still not woke up. Her situation was still alarming and Nicholas was still by her side everyday. He was losing it at work because he needed her so much. He barely even went to work because he wanted to stay next to Jessica hoping she would wake up soon. The doctors were losing all of their hope. They didn’t know what to do anymore for Jessica. Only Jessica herself could keep fighting and wake up. Nicholas always saw her as a warrior. She would always stand up for herself and fight for her biggest objectives. That’s what he loved about her; her will to always do and be better. Nicholas was so tired and weak next to her bed. He stopped eating and talking to everyone. He still thought that he was responsible and that he could have changed something by bringing her home. He thought that because of him Jessica might never wake up and that they would never be able to be together again. Just thinking of this made him feel sick but he had to stay strong for her. Jessica always told him, “in the darkest situations, hope is the best thing you can do”. She was an inspirational and important woman for many as she was always here to light up everyone days and just give positive vibes to everyone. Nicholas was more than grateful to have someone like her in her life.

Though, he couldn’t stop thinking about what he saw at her house. Learning that Jessica was or is married and has a child was a shock for him. They talked about everything to each other and yet she never said anything about them. Nicholas thought that maybe they are on a vacation or something and that maybe they were unaware of Jessica’s accident. He thought that maybe Jessica needed them right now, so he decided to make some research and try to contact them.

But Nicholas felt that he heard about these two names, Jack and Jayden, but he couldn’t remember where. So he decided to go to work to try to find them but as he was leaving, a man he never saw entered the room. He was confused as he didn’t know who he was so he just said, ‘ hello who are you?’. The guy looked at him with the saddest face that Nicholas ever saw and he said, ‘ Hello, I’m Joe. Jessica’s….father’. Nicholas shook hands with him and said ‘nice to meet you. I’m Nicholas, Jessica’s boss’. Joe looked so sad to Nicholas but it seemed to be way more than the fact that his daughter had an accident. It seemed like he had a hard past and that he went through the worse shit ever. Joe walked towards Jessica’s bed and he lost it. He started crying, a lot, and he said ‘I can’t lose you too…’ while he kept crying. Nicholas just stood aside and watched the whole scene. It was hard to witness that and he couldn’t imagine how hard it must be to see your child fighting between life and death on a hospital bed; he couldn’t even imagine what it’s like to be a dad since life took his only and unborn child away from him along with his wife. He decided to leave them alone for some moment and then he asked to Joe to come and drink a coffee with him since he looked like he really needed it. 

They both sat down and were really silent at the beginning but then Nicholas said ‘she will get better. Jessica is a warrior.’ Joe just smiled at him and whispered yes before he added ,’I have barely been here for Jessica in her life and I hurted her so much. I jus wish that seeing her again would not have been in these conditions. She’s a good kid.’ Nicholas stared at him and ought of asking him what happened between them but he didn’t want to push him to say all of these personal stuff. Seeing your child in a hospital bed must be so hard already. Nicholas wished that he could have helped him and that he could have stayed more but he had to go. They talked for some ten minutes about Jessica and about how an amazing woman she is before Nicholas headed to work. He had a mission right now; find Jayden and Jack and inform them about Jessica’s accident.