part 19 // plot twist

I couldn't move because Lavender was still sleeping on my lap.
I gave Gabbie a frightened glance but she didn't seem to have a clue about what could be going on. In fact, she had the biggest smile on her face and was staring at the door, waiting for Jack to come in.
How did I expect different anyway? She didn't know about me and Zach. I never told her, basically because I didn't feel like it.
But now I wish had told her about him.
I was about to panic while the voices in the hallway came closer and I still couldn't get up.
I heard Zach's voice mumbling something I couldn't understand and soon after the door opened.
I held my breath. If Zach would see me now he immediately would notice that I was pregnant... exactly the thing I was trying to avoid.
Jack came in, followed by 3 other boys.
My eyes anxiously searched for Zach but I didn't see him.
I let out a sigh of relief. But he was still here, in this house. I have heard his voice.
"Hey babyy" Jack looked at Gabbie and you could see his face lit up.
Then he looked at Lav, who was still asleep on my lap.
"Hello baby" he said again but in a softer voice.
I forced a little smile. I wondered how Lavender didn't woke up yet from my heart beating in my chest.
"You can take her." I said and lifted her gently up from my lap.
Jack took her with the widest smile and started cradling her softly.
Was this too much to ask for? Me and Zach. Him holding our child like that..
I felt a massive amount of pain going through my heart.
I stood up and stretched my legs. The faster I would get away, the better. But at that very moment I heard Zachs voice in the hallway again.
And panic grabbed my by my throat.
I looked around and saw one of the boys looking at me a bit worried.
"Don't tell Zach I was here.." I said, hoping everyone in the room heard it.
I heard footsteps coming closer to the door and in a new fit of fear I let myself fall on the ground behind the couch.
It probably looked very charming, the way I dropped on the ground like that, especially because no one knew what was going on.
Fortunately for me it was just in time.
As soon as I curled up into a ball, making sure he wouldn't see me, Zach walked into the room.
I held my breath in suspense from what would happen.
Zach greeted Gabbie and Lav and I felt some butterflies in my stomach by the sound of his voice. I pulled my arms around my bumb and convinced myself that it was probably the baby who was kicking.

For a good 10 minutes I was laying there, curled up behind the sofa.
I listened to everyone's talking.
Nobody said a single word about me or how I was laying here on the ground which I was very glad about.
I could hear everything.
His laugh.
His voice.
It hurted and I wish I could just get up and run away, slamming a few doors and step into my car, driving straight home.

After a little while Gabbie started hinting Jack about the fact that he and the boys could better leave the room.
I let out a quiet but thankful sigh.
As soon as they left I got up.
"I am so sorry.." I said while wiping the dust from my clothes.
"It's okay I guess.." she answered visibly confused. "I-is Zach the one that-.."
I put my hands on my belly and nodded. "I'll explain it later but now I just want to get away as fast as possible."
I took my bag and walked out of the room, followed by Gabbie. Jack had took Lavender with him when he left the room so we were just with 2 now.
Gabbie walked me to my car and we both got in.
"You got a lot to explain young Lady." Gabbie started off.
I started the car and told her our story.. about the games we played,  the way he made me fall for him again, the night at the camp fire and eventually how it turned out to be a game and only a game to him. A simple bet.
I cried a bit but I was driving so I had to hold it back.

We ended up by my favourite coffee shop.
We got in and choose a table.
"Does he know?" Gabbie suddenly asked.
I looked up from the menu I was looking into and shook my head. "No.."
Gabbie nodded slowly.
The waiter came and asked for our orders.
As soon as he walked away, Gabbie bended in to say something again.
"Are you going to tell him?"
I shrugged. "Im not planning on that, no.."
Again she nodded.
It was silent for a while.
"You have to remember it is his child as well tho.." Gabbie continued after taking a deep breath.
I sighed and rubbed with one hand over my stomach and with the other over my forehead. "It's not like he would care.. he didn't care about me why would I expect him to care about his child?"
"I know but-.."
The waiter came with our orders and forced her to stop talking.
I took my coffe and sipped it.
"I decided not to tell him and I have my reasons for that. It's all a game for him.. He wouldn't care.. He has another girlfriend.. and I can continue like that."
For the third time all she did was giving me a nod, letting me know she understood.

We sat there fore a while, just drinking our coffees in silence.
Something what Gabbie said kept repeating in my mind.
It is his child as well.
I pushed it out of my head.
If he didn't care, did he then deserve this child to be called his?
He did not care, right?