Chapter Six

Recap:

Just as I was about to go all krav-maga on the dude, he was ripped away from me and I was released from his grip. I rub my wrists, trying to get some feeling back into them. I look to see why he was so abruptly ripped away, and I see my predator laying on the floor receiving punch after punch to the face. The guy goes limp on the floor and my savior turns around. He wipes blood from his lip and our eyes connect. A gasp goes through my body as I see who it was, who saved me.

Mason POV:

Even through the loud music of the club, I hear the gasp that resonates through me. I was perfectly capable of taking care of myself, but the help was very much appreciated. I couldn't help but feel happy as I saw the man lying on the floor, face bloody and bruised up. He deserved that and more, I thought to myself. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a voice. "Are you alright?" The voice sounded kind and concerned, totally opposing my earlier thoughts of him. I look up into James's eyes and he looks genuinely concerned. "Yeah, I am alright. Thank you," I reply. I duck my head down once more, embarrassed by the attention I am getting from the surrounding crowd. James notices my unease and shoots a look to the crowd. They quickly disperse and James takes my hand, leading me over to a booth in the least crowded area of the club.

"I am so sorry," James begins, but I interrupt him from going any further. "Stop. Don't apologize. It isn't your fault." He opens his mouth to say something, probably to apologize anyway, but I cover his mouth with my hand. "Don't," I say. I feel something wet on my hand and I quickly pull it away. "Did you just lick me?" I squeal. "Yep," He replies smugly. "Why?" I ask while furiously wiping my hand on my shirt. "I couldn't ask you to move your hand since I couldn't talk. Plus you are smiling now," James said happily. I roll my eyes, but the smile remains on my face. "If you don't mind me asking, why did you help me?" I wonder. "To be honest, I didn't realize it was you until I turned around. I would have helped anyone I saw that was in that situation." "Oh," I say sounding disappointed. Why do I feel disappointed? I don't like him. Why did I want his answer to be because he was watching me or because he likes me? Ugh, I sound like a teenage girl. I hear someone yelling my name and I look up confused. James is waving in front of my face like a madman. "What are you doing?" I ask. "You zoned out. I was trying to get your attention." "Oh," I say, dumbly. "What were you thinking about?" He asked. "Umm, nothing." He doesn't look convinced. "Really? Because you looked pretty deep in thought." I tell him it was nothing and he agrees, giving me one last look.

"How is it possible that you drank at least two whiskey sours and a beer, and you aren't even tipsy?" James asks incredulously. "I don't know," I say honestly. I have never had a problem getting drunk too fast, which I guess comes in handy. But I never really thought too deep into it. "Hello? Earth to Mason." My head snaps up and I am met with a laughing James. "You were starting to zone out again," he says, still laughing. "Oh, he laughs!" I say. "I thought the only emotion you were capable of showing was annoyed." "I think we got off on the wrong foot," James says. "You think?" I shoot back. He sighs. "Yes, I do. I am really sorry about how I acted. I have no excuse, but maybe we can try again?" He sounds hopeful, almost. I can't quite place it. "And how do you suggest we do that?" I ask. "Lets play a game," He says. "A game?" "Yes, a game," he clarifies. "I will say a pickup line and you have to have a comeback," He says with a grin. "And how will this help?" I ask. "You get to see the fun side of me, and I get to see the feisty side of you I love so much." I raise my brow at his statement, and I swear I see his cheeks turn pink. "I-I mean, only if you w-want to," he stutters. I laugh internally at his discomfort. "Sure." He thinks to himself for a moment before saying, "Feel my shirt. That's boyfriend material." Ha, easy, I think to myself. "Really, because it looks clingy and hard to maintain." He looks shocked at my quick response.