Chapter Nine

Mason POV:

Monday morning I woke up bright and early. I spent all day Sunday inside with Kamryn and Jack watching movies and eating. We each took turns picking movies so we ended up watching Mean Girls and Titanic for Kamryn, Bad Boys and Bad Boys 2 for Jack, and My Cousin Vinny and Sound of Music for me. I have loved the Sound of Music since I first watched it with my mom when I was four years old. Underneath the sassy mechanic persona, I am really sweet and sappy. But I have had my heartbroken in one too many ways by one too many people to show that side of me. Kamryn and Jack are the only ones who have seen that side of me.

We actually made dinner last night. Kam went to the store and bought ingredients for cupcakes and homemade pizza. So we didn't make a five-course meal, but hey, its a start. I had a pesto pizza with chicken and extra cheese. Jack had a homemade meat lovers pizza with meatballs, chicken, and leftover bacon. Kamryn had a cheese and meatball pizza, pretty simple for a crazy girl like her. We ate all day and hangout, something we haven't done in a while. It was nice. I also went a whole day without thinking of James. You liar, my conscious tells me. Okay, maybe I lied. I thought about him a little, but Kam always knew when I was and snapped me out of it. Also, when were we on a first name basis? I thought it was "the jerk" not James.

I get up feeling surprisingly refreshed with the lack of sleep I got last night. I had another nightmare but it was worse this time. Luckily I kept from screaming and waking up Kamryn and Jack. We were up so late last night that Jack stayed in the spare room. I climb out of bed and head to the bathroom to take a much needed shower. I don't bother with my hair this morning and let it air dry as I get breakfast. I got dressed in a pair of jean shorts and flannel, my typical work uniform. If I have a particularly difficult job, I will wear my "mechanic overalls" as Kamryn likes to call them. I go downstairs and pour myself a bowl of cereal and grab my phone. I begin to read a book I started a few days ago as I eat. It is called Rampage. It is the third book of the Singular Menace Series and it is really good. After reading for a little while I clear my dishes and write a note for Kamryn.

Hey Kam! I was up early and got a head start on the day. I'm at the shop. Come when you can!

-Mason

I leave the note for Kamryn on the counter and grab my boots. I lace up my Timberlands and grab my keys. I notice Jack's car parked along the street through the window. Our driveway is somewhat small. It only fits two cars and there is no garage, so Kamryn and I's cars take up the little room that there is. I put my phone in my pocket and grab my keys. I open the door and lock it behind me before turning around. When I turn around I almost scream. White flower petals cover my driveway, leaving only the cars uncovered. My heart starts to race and I feel dizzy. I shake my head trying to regain my senses. I unlock the door and rush inside, slamming the door behind me. I hear someone coming down the stairs and I back away, having no clue who it is. They found me, I think. Jack comes down the stairs and sees me breathing heavily, looking like I am having a panic attack. That's because you are having a panic attack.

"Kamryn," he yells. I see a figure come rushing toward me before everything goes black.

~~~~

I feel someone shaking me as I start to come to. "Mase!" "Mase! Wake up!" I slowly open my eyes and see Kamryn and Jack standing over me with worried expressions on their faces. "What happened?" I ask. As soon as the words are out of my mouth, my mind is flooded with memories of what happened. The flower petals, hearing Jack, blacking our. "How long was I out for?" I ask. "Not long thankfully. If you had stayed out for another ten minutes I was going to call an ambulance," Kamryn said. "You were out for ten minutes Bug," said Jack. "The driveway," I begin to say, but Kamryn interrupts me. "I know. We both do. After you passed out I saw the note. You obviously didn't leave yet so I looked out onto the driveway and saw it." She has a sympathetic look on her face. "He-he found me." Her sympathy turns to anger. "Those sons-of-bitches. I'm going to get them. Mark my words. When I see them I will smash my fist through their faces and kick them so hard the sun will never shine again."