Chapter Thirteen

Mason POV:

I wake up on Thursday morning even more confused than I was when I went to bed. Yesterday's event run through my mind in flashes.

"I am not sitting next to her" How rude can he be?

"He pulls his card out of his pocket and hands it to the cashier up front." He is so hot and cold. First he is rude, then he is paying for my lunch?

"You two would be perfect for one another" What in the world did Henrietta mean by that? We are most definitely not perfect for one another. More like the worst for each other. A disaster. A catastrophe. So why did I get butterflies at the comment?

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. I am going to avoid all thoughts of James and his quickly switching behaviors. I don't have enough energy to go near those thoughts today, or any time really.

I get up out of bed after what feels like an hour of thinking, and get changed into shorts and my favorite shirt. An old Eagles t-shirt that used to belong to my mom. I love country music, but growing up I loved listening to the Eagles and Ramones with my mom. We would jam out in the garage, in the car, in the kitchen. Basically anywhere with enough room to jump and dance around. There was one time when we were listening to one of her playlists and Hotel California came on. She got so excited and started spinning me around. We broke one of my dad's favorite vases, but when he got home he wasn't even mad because, and I quote, "My two favorite girls were having fun!" That was a happy time, a time before...

I trail off. Why must all my good memories be tainted with poisonous thoughts. I shudder at the buried memories that are beginning to resurface and continue with my morning routine. I brush my teeth and brush my hair. I let it air dry after I showered so it is a little crazy and curly but it looks alright, and I am not trying to impress anyone. I grab my worn Adidas and head downstairs. Kamryn is already downstairs in the kitchen when I get there, which surprises me. She is never up before I am.

"Hey! Surprised to see me?" She smirks at me. I stand there for a second before saying, "Of course. Sleeping Beauty has finally awoken on time."

"I am a beauty aren't I?" She flips her hair dramatically over her shoulder.

"Ehh you are alright." I laugh. "But Sleeping Beauty was cursed to sleep all the time. What's your excuse?"

She narrows her eyes at me, but ruins it when she starts laughing. "See how much fun we could have if you woke up on time. Since we are both ready why don't we go get breakfast somewhere?" I offer. She agrees and we grab our stuff.

"So Miss Receptionist," I begin as we walk out the door. "How much work do I have today? I didn't think I had any repairs today, unless there is an emergency one."

We climb into the car and get settled before she answers me. "You are correct. We basically have off today but obviously we still have to go in, in case of an emergency repair."

I nod my head in agreement. "Speaking of emergency repairs. Did you call Mr. Parker and tell him to come get his car?"

She visibly freezes at my statement. "Oh. Umm- yeah. I accidently forgot to do that. I'll do it later today." Something about the way she says it is weird but I don't pay much attention to it.

I realize that we are just sitting in the car and haven't gone anywhere. "So where do you want to eat? Or we could continue to sit in here?" I remark. Kamryn and I are both kind of sarcastic so our conversations are usually filled with sarcastic and silly remarks.

"I don't know about you but I kind of like just sitting in here. Its nice and cozy." We are sitting in my truck once again because Kam refuses to drive if she doesn't have to.