4 | my rock

scenario, y/n's parents split up and peter wants to be there for her - 1k words
warnings, parental split, swearing, sadness and fluuuuffff
pairing, high schooler! reader
- they say, write what you know n this recently happened sooo feeliNGS

•.•.•

it happened last week. the split. the time when 2 married people can't love each other anymore. he's moved out, she's found someone new. it's just how things go.

you'd been crying, on and off. you'd never really known the true meanings of the expressions 'ups and downs' 'highs and lows' until now.

peter was the first one to know. mainly because he was round when the explosive argument of truth from your parents occurred. you both knew they fought, often enough he'd hear their fighting. but you thought he should leave when it all got too much. peter was reluctant, anxious to leave you alone with them.

everyday this week, he'd tried to visit. but you curled up in your room, windows bolted shut. you looked a mess and didn't really want to talk about it. but maybe it was time to unlock your windows, welcome in the friendly neighbourhood hero.

the rain poured down as the darkness settled into your room. you were in pyjamas, eyes dry from no more tears left to cry. you'd wanted to distract yourself with homework, but even improving it for the third time didn't make you feel any better.

a light tap at your window, followed by the sliding sound of wood didn't startle you. the patter of feet behind you made your focus falter.

"y/n" his soft, loving, familiar voice sounded in your ears. his hands found their way to your shoulders, rubbing them slightly as he attempted to ease you. "hey."

"hey, pete" you sighed, eyes still locked onto your notes. "how're you?"

"uh, i'm good, y/n" he kissed the top of your head. "i've missed you" he muttered against your scalp making you release a shaky breath. "how're you?"

you could tell he was trying to play it cool and not blatantly point out the big seeping ache that's been nipping at your heart. "i've been good."

without hesitation, he twisted your spinning chair around, so you'd focus on him. he placed his hands on your knees and crouched before you. "please, talk to me."

"i don't want to pressure you. but, please don't-"

"don't what?" you snapped, glaring into his eyes. even from your outburst, he didn't flinch. he was there for you.

"please don't lie."

that was all it took for your eyes to spill slightly. peter's big brown doe eyes screamed with sympathy as he took you into his arms. oh, how he's missed you.

"it's okay, y/n. well it's not, no! that's not what i meant. uh, i mean-"

"peter, don't worry" you smiled into his shoulder. you knew what he was trying to say and just being held in his strong arms and nuzzled into his broad shoulder, made you feel 100 times better.

you pulled back, so you could see his caring face, and boy was it the sweetest. he brushed away some of the hair that had fallen into your eyes, a small goofy grin playing on both of your lips.

"can i stay round?" he didn't need to ask, but it was only in his polite nature to be thoughtful. you nodded, leaning to peck his lips quickly.

you closed your books, packing away your homework as peter fluffed some pillows and gathered some blankets. he was already in grey joggers and a t shirt, although you always kept some of his clothes.

"toranamo!" you laughed, jumping on him as he lounged in your bed.

"jesus, y/n" he grunted, pulling you close. he loved your laugh and especially since everything you've been through, your smile was a sight for sore eyes.

after watching some brooklyn 99 and peter shouting "peralta and santiago are end game!!" a thousand times, you'd both dozed off.

except, you woke up a little while after. the repeated nightmare of your parents shouting echoed as images stained your mind.

you hadn't realised that you were crying in your sleep. peter tried shaking you awake, softly knowing not to hurt you. "y/n? y/n!"

you didn't sit up, but your eyes shot open. he looked at you, wanting to make everything okay. he wanted to make you happy and help you through this.

"why? why does it have to happen!" you wept, looking at his face in the moonlight. "it's all i've ever known, i don't want it to change."

"i know, y/n. i know" you sat up, him moving his hand to your back, rubbing it.

"peter?" you stopped venting to look him dead in the eyes. "why do people fall out of love?"

he gulped, not really knowing what to say. sometimes, you had deep chats. topics varying from the universe, to the future, to purposes in life. but never anything about love. maybe because you'd never said it, although it was clearly on the tip of your tongues.

"sometimes love fizzles out" he starts, kind of scared he's going to press a nerve or rip open a wound. yawning, you watched him speak from the safety of his chest.

"it happens sometimes. love is either meant for two people or m-maybe it isn't."

"wise words, parker" you chuckle, feeling somewhat light for a second. "it, it just sucks."

"i'm sorry. i really want to try and make you happy, to throw all of this away because, y/n. you don't deserve this."

"it's okay" you shuffle closer to him. he looks down at you, his curls fluffy and ever so cute. "i'm just happy you're here. you're my rock. even with all of this shit and everything changing. you're still you. and that's enough."

a sleepy smile makes it's way into his lips as he leans in to kiss you. "i'll be your rock" he repeats, breathing on your lips.

you kiss him softly, him cupping your face, loving you so much. you pull away, leaving him lingering in thin air.

"i'll be your stone" you dumbly say. he chuckles, stroking your cheek as you both finally get a good nights sleep. the best you'd had in a week.