16 | night shift (2)

scenario, continuation of the night shift!! - 1.1k words
warnings, previous angst, cussing, serious flooooof
- gotta love the hate to love trope

•.•.•

the silence returned, the same silence that left you vulnerable. the secret you kept for months had finally been spilled to peter parker, the boy you'd grown feelings for but kept your distance for that same reason.

peter's eyes flitted between you and his hands and the sky and the umbrella handle. he didn't know where to look, he didn't know what to do.

how does someone react when the one person you thought hated you, actually harboured feelings of affection for you?

peter didn't know until now. he knew he never hated you for constantly being sour towards him and he never knew why. it angered him sometimes, he liked to be a people pleaser and when you seemed to not be fond of him, it drove him insane.

yet, he never disliked you. he couldn't. because you'd reserved the tiniest of spaces in his big heart.

he liked how you were so quick witted and that your humour was so sarcastic, almost dry. he liked that you secretly tried hard in school, even if it wasn't your forté. he liked that you took battles seriously and admired how you used your powers. he liked your courage and the encouragement you gave others. he liked the way your hair was always messy after studying because of how hard you tugged on it. he liked that you scribbled stars on any piece of paper, varying from homework or an important document from tony. he liked that you only watched specific saturday night hosts because you could tell if they were faking it. he liked how the rain made your hair wavy. he liked your eyes in the moonlight.

he liked you. and he never realised, until he pieced it all together. that he noticed every little detail about you.

as the silence helped peter realise, you were on edge. sure, you liked being bold sometimes, it gave you a rush. but something about feelings and emotions made you feel gushy and weak.

it was well into the early hours of the morning by now, at least 3. you didn't sleep the night before so you felt awfully drowsy and wanted to sleep so badly.

instead, you broke the eternal silence, wanting to ease any tension he felt. "you know, you don't have to say anything. i get it."

peter looked at you, staring out into the darkness with your chin resting upon your arms hugging your knees from the cold. "it's just-it's a lot to take in."

"yeah, so you don't have to do anything. let's just get through the night. can we do that? or have i caused something where i need to tag someone else in?-"

he chuckled lightly, making you turn to look at him puzzled. he seemed so tense, like your confession made him uncomfortable. why, all of a sudden, why was he laughing?

"you don't need to tag anyone else in" he smiled, making you blush slightly as you looked away. "could you, um. do a tiny favour though?"

"sure" you said.

"could you teleport and get us a blanket or something? i'm getting kinda cold." you nodded and suddenly you were gone.

peter wasn't actually cold, he liked the briskness. however, he noticed how you shivered slightly and every so often your teeth would chatter.

moments later, you were sat back in the same position as you handed peter the blanket. to your surprise, he tried to drape most of it over you.

he placed a hand on your knee. "could you put your legs down?"

"wh-why?"

"cause you're cold" he shyly said, afraid how he was coming across. "and i want to warm you up."

nevertheless, you obliged crossing your legs instead. he leaned across, placing the blanket over you knees. the small accidental touches made you quiver.

"thanks" you muttered, a deep blush creeping onto your cheeks.

"your welcome" he grinned.

a rustle from some bushes made you both look in the direction of the ground floor. only for a bunny to hop out and scratch his ear. another bunny hopped out beside it as they touched noses for a little kiss before disappearing back into the shrub.

"that's so sweet" the words tumbled out of your mouth before you could acknowledge it.

peter nodded in agreement. "they sure like each other."

"well, bunny's make love like there's no tomorrow."

why.

"yeah, i heard that. horny devils" he commented which made you laugh hard. you'd thought you'd get judged by your randomness, but he made you feel comfortable in a way you never thought was possible.

you both exchanged nice chit chat for a short while. that is until you yawned, hinting at your tiredness.

"feeling sleepy?" peter asked, his brown eyes so pretty to look at.

you nodded, "yeah, a little."

"here" he shrugged his shoulder. "i don't mind."

you stared at him and his kind gesture, shaking you head. "peter-"

"y/n" he said, with a sterner tone. his curls flopped forward as a small playful smirk tugged at his lips.

you rolled your eyes. "okay."

resting your head against his shoulder was something you hadn't thought about. but now, it was something you couldn't stop thinking about.

here you were, sat under an umbrella with your head on peter parker's shoulder. how the night changes, from you both shouting at each other to now feeling so intimate your heart could burst.

"y/n?"

"yeah?"

"do you think that maybe tonight was fate? that maybe tony did this on purpose?"

you chuckled, nuzzled closer. "yeah, tony and his ways."

"gotta hand it to him though, the guy knows his stuff."

you sleepily shut your eyes, feeling so content as peter's heart began to increase. the rain kept pouring, it worked as a lullaby for you.

"any second i might fall asleep" you whispered honestly, already half gone and not functioning as well.

he smiled down at you, adjusting the blanket that had fallen from your knee. "then i should probably say that, i like you too."

instead of screaming with joy and running about, your tired state prohibited any such excitement.

"that's cool" you sighed instead.

he giggled, feeling so full having you beside him. "i'll remind you in the morning, yeah?"

"..yeah"

and you were out like a light. for the rest of the night, peter would listen to your soft snores and somewhat keep an eye out for danger. but you on his shoulder was such a distraction, that sleep managed to take it's toll on him.

he laid down, bringing you closer to his chest. your hair smelt of daisies as he drifted off as the sun came up.

safe to say, you're both shit at the night shift.