20 | wrong message

scenario, you've got a major crush on peter but whilst texting, you accidentally give it away - 1k words
warnings, cussing, slight angst, text talk, the word 'electricity' like a thousand times, dumbassery
pairing, high schooler! reader
- write what you know..except i really embarrassed myself and there wasn't a peter parker on the other end

•.•.•

mj: soooo tell me, how was today

you smile at your phone, lighting up with your best friend's funny face. michelle had been off with the flu all week, leaving you to hang out with ned and peter alone.

although ned's been finding different ways to excuse himself. he's obviously made up different people and extra curricular activities so you and peter would be alone. peter didn't seem to notice, but it was a constant question you had.

you swipe up on michelle's name and began to type.

y/n: the usual, had lunch with peter as ned ran off again. is there a meditation group at school?

mj: only in ned's head

you chuckle at her message, but type back in response.

y/n: why would he lie like that?

mj: maybe cause i asked him nicely to get outta there and give you and peter some alone time

y/n: you what

of course. michelle the match maker. she's been trying for a couple of months to get you and peter together. ever since you admitted your little growing crush on your lab partner, she hasn't rested since.

mj: c'mon i gave you a little push

y/n: it feels like a fucking shove

mj: you love me really

y/n: ..can't escape you

mj: sO, how was it with HIM

a couple of seconds later, peter's purposely silly face appears on your screen. you felt a bit of excitement in the pit of your stomach as you clicked on his name.

parker: hey y/n! i was wondering if you wanted to study? later? may's making cake and i just thought, maybe yanno? :)

you smiled at the message. his cute smiley faces and grammar always get you. oh how you both discuss your hatred for emoji's and only use them ironically. your friendship was good, it had all the jokes and flirty moments. but boy, did you want more.

with your mind still on auto pilot, you decided to text mj back.

y/n: today was nice! ned ran off, as you know and then it was the two of us. there's just like some kind of electricity between us or something idk. but he's so sweet and cute and hot all together, it gets a girl flustered

sent.

after spilling your girly-crush-grossness onto mj, you then decided to text peter back.

y/n: sounds great! i'll come over soon :)

you sent it before smiling at the contact name. mj. it was mj. not parker. not peter fucking parker.

your heart stopped, overwhelmed with your busying thoughts whirling around in your head. no, no, no, no. yes.

you had mixed up your damn messaging. gushing to someone about them is definitely low key and exactly what you want.

"i called him HOT" you said aloud as if to make it real. this seemed so strange and completely not you, being careful over your secret.

your eyes don't leave your phone, thinking of ways to get rid of this nightmare. deleting it is out of the question, that never works. making an excuse could just get awkward.

instead, you receive a message from peter that makes your heart drop.

parker: electricity?

and yeet. your phone goes to the other side of your room.

your phone continues to vibrate as you obnoxiously sigh. fuck shit fuck of course this had to happen.

you wanted to melt into your duvet as you hid under it, not aware of the boy who tapped on your window and sat on your fire escape. he clutched his phone, refreshing your texts as he ran a nervous hand through his hair.

you peered up and slowly got out of bed. your eyes went anywhere but him, so embarrassed and uncomfortable to even make eye contact. you slid open the window and stepped back, letting the curly haired boy into the room.

"uh, hey" peter said, scratching the back of his neck. his eyes followed you as you leaned against your desk, hands crossed over your body. "um, you wanna talk?"

"what about?" you gulped. playing dumb was never a good option, but you felt so stiff, that it was all that came out.

"um, your text?" he moved over to your bed, hesitant to perch on it. he opened his phone. "could we um, talk about uh, electricity?"

"i'm not an electrician, can we move on?" peter could feel the awkwardness in your tone and thought he should help you out. he hated seeing you flounder like a fish and there was no better moment than now.

"y/n i like you too, you know" he smiled, locking his phone shut and tossing it aside. your arms dropped from their guarded position. "you didn't see my response?"

"no.." you moved over to where you'd thrown you phone as peter arched a brow at the location. "yes, i threw it."

he laughed as you went onto his messages.

parker: electricity?
parker: i'm no electrician, but i feel it too

you looked up at the nerdy boy, a happiness filled your body. "you used my electrician line" you smiled, bouncing on your toes.

"yeah, you dork" he giggled before stepping closer to you.

"that makes you a dork too."

peter's boyish grin made your weak as he spoke softly, "it's true though."

"that you're not an electrician and that you're a dork?"

a big goofy grin broke onto his face. "you're the cutest, you know that right?"

in that moment, nothing mattered except your lips against his. it felt so right, finally being with him. he held your jaw to steady you and try to keep his excitement at bay. your hands found the back of his curls, the curls you'd been so desperate to fiddle with.

you broke it off, him leaning further wanting more as your phone buzzed. it was mj.

mj: you coming over or what xxxx