26 | taking turns

scenario, the gang go on a summer roadtrip and it's all good vibes as you all take turn to drive, but peter has a big ol' crush on (lucky) you - 1.2k words
warnings, swearing, shitty writing, peter and his spicy thoughts, but lotta fluff
pairing, high schooler! reader
- lmao not dead, thanks for bearing with my inactiveness 0_0 also spot the slight natasha and happy reference

•.•.•

"so, we all ready?" michelle asks as she bundles her backpack into the boot. nodding, i look between ned, peter and i who seem to agree as well. "great, i'll drive first."

this road trip has been planned for weeks, maybe months during your physics class that you all share. it was ned's light bulb moment for you guys to spend a portion of your holiday all together, but everyone was quick to agree and start the planning preparations.

michelle's mum was kind enough to volunteer her car for us to drive. so here you all are, speeding down the roads like robbers on the run. michelle's taken first shift, followed by ned who's sat in the passenger seat fiddling with the music.

you and peter sat in the back, knees facing towards each other as you chat about everything and anything nerdy. his eyes always seem to have this sparkle that make you feel giddy and lose track of time.

he listens to everything you talk about; from political views to tv shows to the crappiest dessert you've ever eaten or the time you thought macaroni was an instrument. he rests his chin on the arm rest; the only thing separating you two from grabbing each other and cuddling.

although, you don't know that he wants that too.

at first, you weren't someone he was drawn to. that's until you spoke up in class about a comment flash had made about skirts. when peter saw you stand up on your chair, point towards flash and call him out in front of everyone in english, he was mesmerised, like a moth drawn to a light. where has this passionate, charismatic, quick witted, not to mention cute girl been this whole time? under your nose, parker. smh.

so here you were, giggling at text messages he'd received from a grumpy happy. "he's not trilled i'm leaving town."

"i think queens can manage a week without spiderman" you sigh, looking up at peter's brown eyes.

"i'm not too sure." you were both very close after hunching over a phone screen. flustered, you both move back to your windows and continue laughing at some of the sayings tony stark has said to peter before.

the sun was hotter around midday, so michelle turned the a/c on full blast. but that wasn't the ticket, since the engine started spluttering and your speed decreased. "uh, mj, what's happening?" you ask, grasping onto her headrest and peering over her shoulder. peter did the same to ned, as you both looked like children asking 'are we nearly there yet?'

"shit. i think i might've blown the a/c" she sighs, banging the wheel with her palm.

"road rage isn't a good trait, how about i drive?" ned offers. michelle agreed, claiming she doesn't have road rage and then turning the a/c off as the car goes back to normal.

"okay, looks like it's windows down folks" michelle says, whilst looking for a place to pull over and switch with ned.

you watched as peter stuck his sweaty head out the window like a puppy, a big gaping smile plastered into his face. "try it, y/n. feels freeing."

"you're such a dork."

"but you love me."

"how do the bugs taste?" you giggle. after your comment, he brings his head back inside immediately.

michelle connects her phone and starts to play some one direction, which shocks everyone in the car. with your eyes wide and the silence seeping in, except for harry styles' silky vocals, you all turn to face michelle. even ned, who should've kept his damn eyes on the road turns to her; the sheer confusion overtook him.

"what?" mj shrugs defensively. "you guys don't like one direction?"

and within seconds, the collective judgement passes as you belt the chorus of rock me. peter doesn't know this particular song and sits there, watching you sing, 'hit the pedal, heavy metal, show me you care, i want you to rock me.'

0_0

his mind races, but you continue with the lyrics. you notice peter out the corner of your eye looking awkward and quite, so you decide to sing the lyrics to him. "hey, peter, r-o-c-k me again."

his cheeks turn a bright shade of red as he chuckles to release the tension. his shoulders relax a little, but he can't get you out of his mind. you're driving him crazy. story of my life plays next as everyone yells that song, full of passion.

ned even does dramatic air grabs.

hours pass, until it's your turn to drive. michelle and ned have started a game of uno in the back, as every now and then you hear ned say, "plus 4! yeah baby." although it's always mj who shouts "uno!"

peter's beside you in the passenger seat, playing some of his music. and it's strangely comforting hearing such calm acoustic tunes.

the sky starts to dim as you've been driving for ages. in fact, the uno game has died as michelle has headphones in and her eyes shut. ned's the same, except he's playing a computer game as he sometimes exclaims in joy or pure hatred for another player. "noobmaster69 claims he knows thor? yeah right!"

peter takes notice that your head has started to dip as do your eyes. you shake it off, until peter places his hand on yours. "hey, y/n-"

"PETER GET OFF THE WHEEL" you scream, because his super strength managed to make you almost swerve into another car. he yanks it back instantly and keeps his hand buried in his lap.

"shit! oh my god, sorry" he blushes, embarrassed. "but um, i was gonna say i should drive."

"nah it's ok, i've got this" you yawn. how convincing of you.

he shakes his head. "turn off here. you should rest."

but before you can argue. he's doing the dangerous thing and reaching over for the wheel. you stop, not waking michelle as she sleeps like the dead. "ok, fine."

peter takes the wheel and drives steadily through the night. you chat to him for as long as you can, before you doze off. peter doesn't notice for a while as he hums to your songs. your light snores end up as the give away.

he thinks you look adorable, feet curled up on the seat, head resting on your hand on the arm rest. you pout, which he's never seen before, but he can't keep his mind off your lips.

you jolt awake from the honk of a horn and the way the car swerves. you look across at peter who's red in the face and has his eyes wide. you chuckle lightly, "eyes on the road" you point to the ground you've been driving on all day.

he nods, grinning like an idiot. "mhm, yep."