Chapter 8

THIRD PERSON POV

"We're here!" beamed Kumi with arms spread out wide.

Kageyama walked beside her not leaving his attention on the enthusiastic girl. What is she so happy about? He thought to himself, finally leaving his gaze on her, he turned to where Kumi's eyes were looking.

It was a vast land that spreads throughout the area — a random volleyball net in the center. The sky was beautifully visible from their perpective as they were on an elevated platform within a small hill. Kumi continued walking forward with Kageyama trailing behind. They reached the end of it, as it it were cliff, only that they were overlooking the entire town.

Kageyama couldn't help but feel amazed. A few lights flickered within the buildings of the town as he scanned, also spotting the Sakanoshita Store and the other Karasuno Volleyball members walking away from it.

"Not bad," he mumbled.

"We should start practicing now," said Kumi, placing her bag under a tree and so did Kageyama.

Kageyama nodded, taking the volleyball from his bag and started walking towards the net.

---

KAGEYAMA's POV

"Can you, um, lower yourself a bit," she said softly, I looked down on her when I realized she was already on her tiptoes as she was trying hard to reach for my hands and the ball.

I flashed her an amused look, "You're so small." I was six feet and she was five feet and three inches.

I wonder how it would be like to kiss her.

What are you thinking!

I shook my head, mentally scolding myself.

"This has been your 30th failed attempt and you'd rather insult my height?" She scowled.

"It's not an insult." I mumbled, meeting her eyes. A blush crept up on her cheeks as I slowly lowered my arms, then I felt a sudden warmness spreading across my face. I quickly faced away to hide my flustered face.

Is it normal to feel like this whenever she's around?

I only met her for a week, but her presence every practice made me feel like I've known her long enough to make her call me her friend.

She gets along with everyone very well especially since she's more knowledgeable on volleyball than us. She brightens everyone's mood with her music, even Tsukishima even though he doesn't show it.

And in all honesty, watching her talk to everyone in a very ecstatic nature gave me a slight tint of jealousy.

If she were to have a boyfriend and she would still act as happy around different boys, what would her boyfriend do?

I sighed, closing my eyes. If I were her boyfriend, I would probably feel je--

"Kageyama-kun were you listening?"

I snapped out of my trance, looking down on her again as she had her eyebrows furrowed and lips pouted while her hands rested on her hips.

"You weren't, were you?" She growled.

"I did." I think. "You'll need Hinata inorder for me to feel comfortable with this new toss...?"

She nodded, "Good."

I studied her face again, a paler one underneath the moonlight. "Are you okay? You seem a little bit pale."

"Ah this is normal," she chuckled.

"We can rest if you want, you've been hitting my tosses for the last 2 hours." I replied.

She took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. "Yeah, I think I need to rest a bit."

I nodded at her response, following behind her as she sat under the tree and took out her guitar. I sat beside her, leaning my back against the tree bark while I continued tossing the volleyball.

Everything was silent, until her guitar started making some relaxing melody, then she started singing to herself.

I've never heard her sing this close.

I stopped tossing the ball as I let myself drown in the music, closing my eyes while I furrowed ny eyebrows.

"Every fight needs mending
Every start has an end
Like the sunrise and the sunset
That's just how it is."

I never really admire anything but volleyball (and milk) but hearing her voice while she plays the guitar seems like something I'll develop to like. I continued listening to her while I open my eyes to get a view of the silent town.

"--the way we ought to be

Oh it's good to be true
If our hopes and dreams come true
Wish that I had more
Of this borrowed time
If only it would last a lifetime."

After a few minutes, she ended the song with a plucked outro--

I then tensed up, feeling her head on my shoulder.

She must be tired.

"I think I'm fine now, shall we continue?" She lifted her head and turned to me.

As I turned to her, her usual bubbly self was lost and gloom was the only thing written all over her face, but she hid it with a fake smile.

"You should go home now," I said, standing up.

"If it's okay with you," she placed her guitar back inside its case.

"Yeah, thank you for helping me." I bowed, "Can we practice tomorrow?"

She turned to me, raising a brow. "The tournament's the next day right?" I nodded. "You need to rest, it's part of training too. So that's a no."

"I see, okay." I took her guitar case, throwing it over my shoulder as she thanked me, then we started walking our way down.

---

Should I ask her about her experience with volleyball? What if she doesn't want to talk about it? There must be a bigger reason than "I just wanted to" especially since it's internationals.

Gathering up all my courage, I took a deep breath before breaking the silence that dominated the walk for minutes. "How does it feel like to play in the nationals?"

Start easy.

She turned to me, raising her eyebrow. "Fun, I guess." She shrugged, "It improved me alot."

"How are the opponents?" Stupid! What kind if question is that.

"They're...tall," she chuckled lightly, "but I think height does not really matter for me. There was one time I was at a youth camp in Brazil, everyone were like six to seven feet and I was the smallest! But, the coaches still chose me and invited me to more training camps."

"Youth camp in Brazil..." I pondered, amazed.

"Yep. I guess when you train harder, more oppurtunities will be open for you," she then turned to me, "You have more potential than me, Kageyama."

"I wouldn't give up on volleyball, unlike you," I said with a blank expression.

"Which is why I want you to play in the nationals and internationals for me."

I whipped my direction to her. Giving her a puzzled look as I didn't reply. She had a serious look on her face, as if her life depended on it.

"You can do that, can't you?" She said.

I stared at her for a few minutes, then I brought myself to suppress a confident smirk. "Yeah. I will."

---

Song: Borrowed Time by Cueshe