Chapter 24

KAGEYAMA's POV

I opened my inbox for the 23rd time since we arrived at Karasuno. Worry flashed over me every minute as I thought of what could've happened to her.  I turned it off once again, sighing hopelessly while I divert my attention to the night sky.

"Kageyama."

I turned around, hearing Hinata calling from behind.

"Throw me some tosses."

I stared at the orange-haired boy for a few seconds, nodding as we made our way to the gym. We set everything up, from lights to the net; I pushed the cart of volleyballs to the side of the court, seeing Hinata who just finished setting up the net.

"Heh? You two still aren't going home yet?" A voice came from the entrance.

We turned to the where it came from and saw Yachi peeking her head out.

"Yachi-san, if you don't mind, can you help us?" Hinata said.

"Eek! I-I can't do that!" Yachi replied nervously.

"Just throw the ball above Kageyama."

She hesitated for a moment before nodding as she stepped inside and place her bag to the side. "Nē, Kageyama-kun," I turned to her, "Has Kumi contacted you?"

"Since we finished taking our supplementary exam, no." I replied sternly.

"I see," she nodded slowly, "she hasn't replied nor answered mines and Shimizu-san's calls. I hope she's alright."

I nodded at her, exhaling sharply. I got into my position, watching Yachi grab a ball while she waited for Hinata's signal.

"Alright!"

The ball came falling from above, I prepared my hands and touched it, tossing it with my usual tosses towards Hinata.

"Fffhuh!" He grunted as the ball missed. "Again."

Another toss, another miss.

"One more."

More tosses, more misses.

Sweat dripped down my forehead as I tossed for the nth time with no successful attempts so far.

"Again--"

"Instead of practicing an attack we're not sure you'll ever be able to do," I turned around, yelling angrily. "You should be working on the attacks we've been using as well as serving and blocking!"

He's obviously ignoring me.

I formed fists as I continued, "I'll give you tosses that won't be stopped by blocks!"

"But then I'll never get better!" He shouted back.

"You dumbass." I fumed, harshly grabbing his shirt as I lifted him from the ground. He grabbed the hand gripping his shirt, kicking his feet while he struggled to be put down.

"I want to be strong enough to compete for myself!"

My anger got worse as he continued talking. I shook his body, seething my teeth at the sight of him. I threw Hinata harshly to the ground while I faced him with a deathly glare. "Your selfishness is gonna destroy the team's balance! I'll toss to anyone who's essential to winning."

I turned around, storming off in anger until I was stopped as Hinata grabbed my torso harshly.

"KAAAAGEYAAAAMAAAA!"

"G-g-guys, no fighting!" Yachi trembled from behind us.

"Damn it! Let go!" I shouted.

"I'm not letting go until you give me a toss!" He grunted angrily, grabbing my face. I took his frail body and thrashed him to the ground once again as I tried to regain my balance.

"I SAID LET--"

"OI!"

Tanaka-san came charging towards us, raising both fists, "STOP IT YOU TWO!"

---

"Shit," I sighed in frustration as I laid on my bed. My hands softly touched the scar created by Hinata on my lip, I winced in pain and moved my arm atop my forehead.

DING!

I quickly jolted up upon hearing my phone's text notification bell. I grabbed it swiftly, seeing a message from Kumi.

I let out a sigh of relief and happiness as my heart softened just by seeing her name.

Aya:
Can I call?

"Is that even a question?" I scoffed mentally and called her first. I bit my lip as I waited for her to pick up--

"Hello?" She spoke.

A small smile crept up my face as I melted at the sound of her voice. "Hey..." I replied.

"I'm sorry for not being able to make it," she said sincerely. "I'm sorry too if I wasn't able to inform you directly and only let dad call Kei. I've been very very busy because of the meetings and all."

"It's fine," I said. "Uhm...How are you?"

"Just tired, but other than that, yeah. How 'bout you? How's Shoyo? You should've understood him better than anyone you know."

"What are you talking about?"

"Yacchan told me you fought, physically. An hour ago. In the gym." She said sternly, making me shiver at her sudden change of moods. "She was scared. She called Tanaka-san. Tanaka-san punched the both of you. You two deserved it anyway," she shrugged.

I was speechless for a few seconds, then responded. "Y-yeah...sorry about that. But he was talking about suddenly improving himself and changing quicks, how selfish is that?"

I heard her sigh through the phone. "Sorry Tobio but I'm on Shoyo's side on this one."

"W-what?" I stuttered skeptically.

"We'll talk about it overmorrow," she replied.

"Why not tomorrow?"

"I'll be extra busy again."

I sighed, leaning against the wall. "Alright."

She lets out a soft chuckle, making my heart suddenly skip a beat. "I'll be back to helping the team practice again and you'll be back at training camp with new techniques."

"Right," I replied.

"I'll hang up now, Tobio, goodnight." she yawned tiredly.

I still want to talk to you, I thought to myself, shaking my head as I got rid of that response. "T-t-t..."

"'T-t-t...?" She giggled, making me more flustered.

I squeezed my eyes for a few seconds, slapping my cheek and replied, "...Takecaregoodnight." Then I hung up.

Talking to someone I like with full confidence was actually hard. It took me a minute trying to blurt out three words properly, but I just ended up twisting my own tongue.

I exhaled sharply, laying back down as I smiled to myself.

After a long day, I finally got to hear her again.

I pulled my blankets up to my face and turned to my side with my phone in hand. I stared at the wallpaper with pure adoration, and no, it's not a volleyball.

It's a candid picture of her during our first date as she happily received her blue-colored ice cream.

I placed my phone back in the night stand and slowly drifted myself to sleep.