Chapter 39

KAGEYAMA's POV

What am I doing? Why did I run away?

Isn't this the time where she needs me the most?

It was 6 in the morning, just 2 hours before practice and I found myself walking towards a certain hospital.

All this time, I kept thinking she's just busy and fine. Later on did we all know she was ill for a very long time.

Why?

I should know better and just understand. With the Spring Interhigh fast approaching, I only have limited time to spare for her.

I breath deeply, taking the elevator up to the third floor. As it dinged, I stepped out, making my way to the room by the end of the hallway.

I'm seeing her for the first time in two months. What will I say? How will I react? Was she mad?

My fist rose up, shaking nervously. I slowly knocked three times, anxiously waiting for a reply.

It's 6 in the morning. Idiot! She's still asleep—

"Come in."

It's her voice.

IT'S HER VOICE!

I slowly twisted the knob, pushing the door as I entered quietly and closed the door behind me. At this moment, I didn't know if I had the courage to face her, so I only stared at the ground while gripping tightly on the strap of my bag.

"Tobio?"

Her call for my name made me look up; It really is her, paler and more fragile than before.

I looked around if anyone else was in the room but there was none.

"H-how are you?" I said. Stupid! That's not how you start a conversation.

"I'm fine, how 'bout you?" she smiled with an 'I'm okay' hand sign. "You're here early. Don't you have practice?"

Why is she smiling?

I nodded, completely forgetting about her question as I was lost in my thoughts. She's acting like we just recently met; smiling like there's no illness slowly taking away her life, and talking like she's completely fine.

"Kei told you everything, didn't he?"

FLASHBACK

"She's in the hospital."

"What do you mean Tsukishima?" Sugawara asked.

"What are you talking about Stingyshima?" Hinata spoke from beside me, still rubbing his nose.

"But she said she's on a business trip," added Daichi.

"There was never a business trip in the first place." Replied Tsukishima emotionlessly, looking down.

At the moment, all of us stood confused, trying to process the words he said.

"Tsukishima...can you make us understand?" Asahi said softly.

I noticed the air's tension suddenly growing silent, even Tanaka and Noya had shut their mouths as they listened to this serious topic.

"She's ill."

"I-i-ill?" collective voices stammered.

"Ayame was lying this whole time about her absences." Tsukishima continued while we listened closely. "She's diagnosed with a rare heart disease two years ago, which is mainly the reason why she stopped playing volleyball."