Chapter 17

KAGEYAMA's POV

I clicked my tongue in frustration as my toss was too low to match Hinata's spike. The orange-haired boy turned to me, finally having the urged to complain after 25 inaccurate tosses.

"You were zoning out again!" He yelled.

Who wouldn't be? After last night, all I could think about was her and the lunch date that will happen in less than an hour from now.

My hand touched my right cheek from where she kissed me, slightly flushing red as the moment appeared in my mind--

"KAGEYAMA ARE YOU LISTENING?" Hinata jumped infront of me, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I turned to him, growling angrily as he cowered behind Sugawara. "It's unusual for you to get distracted, Kageyama." Suga-san said, curious.

"It must be something big to get you distracted," Daichi added.

Tanaka draped his arm around my neck, pulling me down to his height. "Must be a girl?"

"No--"

"He asked Ayame out on a date." Tsukishima bluntly said, appearing out of nowhere.

Then everyone went silent.

"Tsukishima!" I growled at the blonde boy who was now snickering.

"That's cool," Tanaka laughed, until he realized. "WHAT?"

"YOU AND KUMI ON A DATE?" Noya shouted as Asahi's serve hits him in the head, the frightened third year then cried in worry as he approached the libero.

"Jerk! I told you not to tell anyone!" I seethed my teeth, pointing at Tsukishima.

He pushed his glasses up, facing me with a bored face. "If you want to date the team's manager, atleast let everyone know."

"Kageyama..." Suga-san approached me, his tone serious. Then he raised his palm, slamming it hard repeatedly on my back. "I'M SO PROUD!"

"You finally did it?!" Hinata cheered, bouncing up and down.

"That's news..." Daichi said, "Well, if you need tip--"

"Stop acting like you're good with girls Daichi," Sugawara interrupted.

I stood completely still, annoyed, but still. Everyone were bombarding me questions or offering me "tips" about going on first dates. The crowd then dispersed as Coach Ukai came marching through the center.

He scanned me up and down, hands rested on his hips. "When is this date happening?"

The way he spoke scared me out of my wits. His voice was deeper and more tensed than what he usually sounds like. With that, I stammered nervously. "T-this lunch...Ukai-san."

"Hn," he suddenly slung his arm around my neck, standing by my left while Tanaka was on the right. "First dates are to be captured. I won't mind hiding in a spot, taking a few pictures of the both of you--"

"N-no need!" I shoved them out of the way.

Coach Ukai cackled. "Treat the kiddo right or else I'll make sure you won't be able to play volleyball again."

"We'll make sure." Nishinoya added with Asahi putting his thumbs up shyly.

I gulped, nodding stiffly--

"Kumi!" Yachi shouted, running towards the doorway seeing Kumi who just arrived.

"Don't tell her you all know!" I whispered to my teammates threatingly as I earned aggressive nods. Then we all scattered back as if nothing happend. I watched as Noya-san approach Kumi, asking her why she was not in her training clothes.

Idiot. I shook my head as I continued watching her being approached by some of my teammates, then Hinata turned to me with a smirk.

"Bakageyama-kun is jealous," he teased beside me.

"Damn it," I gritted my teeth, turning away as I marched to the bench.

Relax. I calmed myself down, taking my sweaty shirt off as I shivered from the cold breeze that swept through my bare torso. "I'm not jealous," I mumbled to myself repeatedly. "Not jealous, not jealous--"

"Kageyama."

I jumped in my place, turning around to where the voice was. She stood infront of me in a casual outfit that fits her usual cheery smile. She wore a fitting crop top that perfectly hugged her curvy waist along with high-waist jeans. Scanning her from head to toe, a blush crept up to my face.

"Oi stop staring at me and put your shirt on." She snapped me out of my thoughts, arms crossed over her chest. Laughs and snickers came from the others at the back as they watched the two of us.

I flushed red, quickly taking an extra shirt from my bag and wore it. I then turned back to her, slinging the bag over my shoulder, "Hey," I greeted.

She smiled at me then turned to Coach Ukai. "Nē, Keishin. Is your practice over for this morning?"

"Yes kid," replied Coach Ukai. "Return Kageyama by 1:30."

She nodded without hesitance as if she didn't care if everyone knew about the date. "Let's go?" She turned to me.

She didn't mind if anyone knows, I thought to myself, nodding sternly before she led me outside. I took one last glance behind, seeing everyone with thumbs up except Tsukishima who only held an I-will-kill-you-if-you-hurt-her glare. I widened my eyes as I never thought of Tsukishima as one to actually care for someone.

But then again, this girl changed me; it's no suprise he changed that jerky blonde too.

"Do you have somewhere in mind?" She asked.

I looked down on her, "Yeah. I have."

"What else do you need help for aside from studying?" snorted Tsukishima.

"Please hear me out."

He raised a brow, taking his headphones off again. "Hurry up, King. You're wasting your time on a commoner, but, you got 3 minutes."

I shrugged the attempted insult off and took a deep breath. "I like Kumi."

He didn't reply for a minute, then he stepped closer. "How honest of you. And?"

"I want to ask her out."

"Ha? You're stupid to think if I know anything about that."

"No." I replied sternly. "But you probably know everything about her."

He tilted his head, "So?"

"Please..." I gritted my teeth, "...tell me anything she likes. I'll take her seriously if that's what you want to hear." My fists were clenched tightly as I thought to myself: Why does her bestfriend had to be this guy? I faced him again, waiting for a reply. He sighed deeply as he stuffed his hands inside his pockets.

"Say, Your Majesty. Are you prepared to have your heart broken?"

Huh? I stood confused in the hallways of the building, processing what he just said. Have my heart broken? What does he mean by that? I then opened my mouth to speak--

"If you're not," he interrupted, "don't bother courting her. 3 minutes is up." Then he turned away.

"Yes."

Tsukishima turned around once again, facing me with his eyes slightly wide in shock and his lips parted.

Then I continued, "I...don't care. But, I'm prepared."