5. Goddess of Hunt

"Why am I here again? complaints Jules for the third times.

She should have known Ian has a hidden motive when he gave him a new suit.

Tonight Ian drags her to attend a party in a Baroness house. Jules' first ballroom party.

Time flies fast.

She has stayed in Daniel's town house for five years now. She is past twenty years old.

Jules looks around. Daniel comes to this party with them. He has gone to greet some friends.

There he is. Surrounded by Ladies as usual. The only heir to Duke Winterbourne. All the Ladies here want him as a future husband. Foolish. A guy like him would never settle down for a Lady.

Daniel is only eighteen years old. He looks more mature than other noblemen at his age. Maybe because he slept around with older Ladies.

He is also a frequent guest in prostitution houses all over London.

Jules looks around.

Ian is standing like an idiot. His unblinking eyes are staring to a certain young woman. The pretty Lady has darker skin than others around her. She is talking with her friend. Unaware of Ian's attention to her.

Who is she? Well, not my business. Ian is old enough to find a wife.

Jules has no interest in dancing so she goes to game room. Some men are playing cards right now. She has no extra money to waste for gambling.

She sees two men are playing chess in a corner of the room.

The younger man puts down his black King.

He sighs and then says, "No use, Jude. No one could beat you in a chess game."

"One more time, Tristan," orders Jude.

Jules sits down on a chair near them. She watches them play another round of chess.

Ian has taught her how to play chess. They have played the game in the past. Ian wasn't a good player so they hadn't played a chess game for a long time.

Ten minutes later, another stalemate.

Tristan praises, "No one could beat you, Jude. You are the best player in our kingdom."

"Nonsense," protests Jude.

He pretends to be humble. His wide smile betrays him. He is happy to hear the praise.

Jules asks, "Could I play?"

Tristan folds his hands.

He asks a bit too cheerfully, "Who are you?"

"I'm a distant cousin of Viscount Winterknight."

"Are you a good player?" asks Tristan.

"Unfortunately no. I just want to play a round of chess. Nobody play it at home."

Jude says haughtily, "Why not? Give it your best shot."

Half an hour later, Jules has to admit defeat.

Jude praises, "Not bad. You last longer than my partner."

Tristan is scowling. He is the usual chess player. Because they live together in Jude's townhouse.

Jules asks, "Another round?"

"Why not?"

It takes a longer time to lost this time. Another checkmate. Jules sighs. She yawns before she stands up from her seat.