6. Lady Abby

"Rook to the left three spaces. You are aiming for my queen, Jules. Not bad. If I move my bishop here..." mumbles Jude.

Jules smiles when she moves a Knight piece to the right edge of the board.

"You tried to corner my King. Too bad. Already foreseen this..."

Jude moves his Queen.

He announces, "Checkmate."

Jules puts down her black King.

She complaints, "I could never defeat you."

Jude gathers up the chess pieces back into it's box. They have been playing three hours straight. Seven sets of games. Jude won them all.

Jules might be a newbie. One of the best chess players in Jude's books. Not too defensive like old men. Not too careless like most newbies. 

"You are improving a lot in the last few weeks, Jules. I really have to keep an eye to your Knight pieces. Always aiming for my King," praises Jude.

Tristan is reading a book next to Jude. He frowns. Jude never praises anyone after a chess game. This is the first time he does it.

He asks, "Jude, are you okay?"

Jules adds, "Did you eat something funny or poisonous mushrooms?"

"No. Why?"

Tristan and Jules stare each others and they both smile. Getting a price from Jude is like getting a jackpot. It's like finding Oasis after days of journey in a vast desert.

Jude is holding his chess set when he is walking to the door.

He says, "Let's have another rematch later."

"Of course. Let's eat first. I'm starving," says Jules.

"My treat. What you want to eat?" asks Jude.

"Cheesecake," replies both Tristan and Jules at the same moment.

They laugh together. They have so much in commons. They are living in rich relative houses. They share many favorite foods.

Jude comments, "Sometimes you two are sharing the same brain."

Tristan winks an eye to Jules and she does the same thing to him.

Daniel has just got home. He overhears what Jude has said. He puts his hat on a hanger.

He mocks, "Chess again? Boring game."

Jude waves as if chasing invisible fly.

"Let's go, kids. Don't let a stupid fellow ruined our appetite. I want meat. Steaks," says Jude.

Daniel scowls when Jude puts his hands on Jules' shoulders and gently pushes her out of the house. Tristan follows them like a loyal puppy.

He quickly yells, "Wait for me!"

Jude raises an eyebrow when Daniel climbs into his carriage.

He asks, "Did I invite you?"

"I can pay on my own."

Their destination is just few blocks away. It would be faster to walk on foot. Of course noblemen hardly use their feet.

A Lady is staring Daniel when they are heading to a restaurant. She bows slightly to him. Daniel completely ignores her. He just walks into the restaurant with the others.

Jules stays behind.

He scolds, "Please don't do this, Lady Sarah. Daniel has sent you an apology letter."