20. Casino for her

Jude has dark circles beneath his eyes. He doesn't sleep the last few days. Jules doesn't look too good too. She has been crying to sleep every night.

Tristan stares them but he says nothing. Jules would need time to mend her wounded heart.

Jules glances at Jude. She has been heart broken. Yet, she knows she couldn't lament for her loss forever. The baby was gone. Maybe it's a blessing. Daniel could never be a good father.

Jules gathers up her courage and asks, "Jude, could you give me work?"

Jude doesn't seem to hear her. She has to repeat few times before he notices her.

"Hmm..."

"I used to manage Daniel's finance. I know you have your own manager. Maybe you could give me a job or something."

Jude finally stares her. There is pain shown in his face. Jules doesn't know it is guilt.

Jude asks, "I'll see what I could find. Are you sure you could work? You just..."

"I have to keep my mind busy. That's all. Could you go with me to Casino later?"

"Okay."

Jude feels so guilty to her. He would take the moon for her if she had asked for it.

That night in the Casino...

Thirteen greets, "You finally show up again, Kiddo. It has been a week."

She corrects him, "Eleven days. No need to worry, Thirteen. I'm fine. Really fine. Say, you have work here for me? Anything would do."

Thirteen looks doubtful. He glances at his Boss. Ezra is chatting with Jude right now.

Jules got the hint and she approaches the owner.

She greets him, "Sir, could you please employ me? I'm a hard worker. All I need is a shelter, food and some money for my empty pocket."

Ezra only replies shortly, "No."

He is never a kind hearted fellow. He doesn't even look at her twice. Not the kind of guy who would do charity work.

Jules is disappointed.

Jude suddenly grabs Ezra's hand.

He comments, "Let me have a word with him. You'll get your job, Jules."

Jude drags Ezra to his office in the Casino. Ezra kicks the door shut after they got in.

Ezra warns, "Don't force me to do charity work."

"Name your price. I'm going to buy this Casino from you."

Ezra is speechless. He knows Jude is a wealthy man. This Casino is the work of his blood, sweat and tears.

He says coldly, "Not selling."

"You do owed me your life. I will buy it in reasonable price. You still have many Casinos in the Continent. Losing this one won't affect anything to you."

"What are you going to do with this Casino?"

"I'm going to give it to Jules."

Ezra looks dumbfounded. He laughs heartily for a while. Jude is silent. Waiting for his next move.

Ezra asks, "You like that weird crossdresser?"

"Mind your language. I won't tolerate anyone who bad mouthed her. Not even you, old friend."

"You pretended not to know me at all for these few months."

"You are ex-convict. I have to do it. For a while."