7. I never forget him

Another three years have passed.

The brat is now Duke Winterbourne after his father died last spring. He is already 21 years old. He has full access to his wealth now. Number one in the list of wanted bachelor. A young Duke with vast wealth. That's super rare.

Ian is checking his list of debutantes again. He is determined to marry this year. Jules is staring him with a sad look.

Dan warns, "Stop it, Jules. He is getting married. Not dead."

Jules glares at him.

She asks, "Why don't you marry too?"

"If I got married, where would you live?"

"I could live with Tristan. When Jude got married, Tris said..."

"No, definitely not!" protests Dan.

"Why not? Both of us could rent a room. It's cheaper that way. If we both work..."

Dan sighs. He is pinching the bridge of his nose. Jules kept forgetting she is a woman.

He scolds, "Remember who you are."

"I'm Jules Knight."

"The one before that."

Jules rises from her seat. She looks angry.

She warns, "Never speak like that again."

She stares Ian as if fearing he might know her real gender. Her thick eyebrows. Her slim figures has fooled the others for years. If this brat could shut his mouth, everything would be fine.

Ian asks, "Jules, why don't you get marry too?"

"Nobody want me."

"I'm sure a merchant's daughter won't mind at all. You are quite a good looking fellow."

Jules says sourly, "Thanks, Ian."

Dan laughs heartily. Ian looks confused. As usual they seem to know a secret joke. Only shared between them.

Jules goes into her bedroom. A sad violin music is heard soon afterwards.

Ian sighs.

He says, "Be good to Jules after I got married. Don't bicker too much with him. You are lucky to have him."

"You are right."

Ian doesn't know Jules is my living amulet. She keeps my bad luck away. Of course I shall keep her safe.

Dan stands up too. He goes into his bedroom.

Jules puts down her violin. She has it fixed few years ago. It's her friend when she felt down and depressed.

Thirteen. Are you still alive? Why you never write to me?

She goes to her wardrobe. She checks her saving. She has saved every penny earned from working. Hope it would be enough to rent a room when she has to move out from here.

*****

Jules stares the target with awe. Jude isn't just a good chess player. He is also a good shooter.

All of them are in countryside right now. The hunting season has finally begun. They are spending times in his countryside mansion for the whole autumn.

Tristan offers a gun to Jules.

She confesses, "I never shot a gun before."

Tristan teases, "You never use a sword before. Yet you won against me in fencing yesterday."