16. Unforgettable Date

Jules is walking beside Jude. They are enjoying the sceneries around them. Jules is smiling a little. It's good to be back. Wearing a dress is a torture. She would never choose a dress over pants. Male clothing are the best in her dictionary.

Jude looks rigid as if he's facing a trial in court. Not even one smile shown in his face.

He leads her to a small bungalow in the garden. A chessboard has been prepared on the table. A servant is waiting with a basket filled with sweet desserts.

Jules chuckles.

Perfect date in Jude's dictionary means a game of chess. This is no difference from their usual morning activities in this Manor.

She corrects him, "Jude, don't bring the chess board if you wanna to impress a Lady. Most noblewomen won't be able to play chess."

"This is our special date."

He looks insulted.

Jules doesn't understand. He would never bring out a chess board in front of other Ladies. The only one who earned his respect is her. Not another Lady.

He puts aside the chessboard. He pours a glass of red wine for himself. It is still early in the morning. One glass of wine. That's all he needs right now.

Jules frowns when she touches the glass.

She comments, "It's too early to drink."

"Just a sip."

Jules lowers down her hand. She sighs. Jude looks miserable after Tristan left.

She could only say, "About Tristan. It isn't your fault."

"I know. I still felt helpless. Maybe I should have kept my distance from him in the past. Maybe this won't happened."

"It isn't your fault. Or Tristan. Your heart would choose for you. Not your mind."

Jude mocks himself by saying, "What did he see from me? I'm a heartless bastard. I could never love anyone."

Jules holds his cheeks and orders, "Look at me."

He stares to her earnest unblinking eyes.

She scolds, "Never said those words again. You aren't a heartless man. You are just...unable to show your emotions."

Jude is a stoic person. He rarely shows his emotions to others. It was his father's fault. Jules would kick his father's head if she could.

How could he ruined his son like this?

Jude tilts his head a little and kisses her palm. Jules got shocked and lowers her hands. When she blushes, it makes him feel slightly better.

He cuts a slice of apple pie and offers it to her. She accepts the plate. She takes a bite and moans slightly. This is heaven.

Jude chuckles. He only drinks his bitter coffee. The red wine is left untouched. Jules looks like a pampered kitten with a bowl of cream. She sure loves sweet and tasty desserts.

He wishes he could see her happiness everyday like this. Protect her. Never let anyone to hurt her.

Jules doesn't want to play chess for their first fake date. So he has to change it. Fortunate he has made a backup plan.

They leave the manor in a phaeton drawn by two black horses. Enjoying fresh breeze in Hyde Park. It's still too early. There isn't many people in the park yet. Most nobles in ton don't get up before ten in the morning.

Jules says, "Let's chat."

"Okay."

Total silence afterwards.