15. Saving my Knight

"Why she want to help him? He is just a bastard."

Jude has asked the question again over and over in his mind. He is staring Daniel. As usual, he is busy flirting with other Ladies in the ballroom. Leaving Jules alone. Stranded among the wallflowers, unwanted by her "fiancee."

Tristan must have overheard it.

He replies, "I think she loves him."

"Impossible."

"Why not? He is a handsome and rich nobleman."

"I'm much better than him."

Ordinary men would have been choked on Jude's bold statement. Tristan only smiles and nods his head.

Daniel might be more handsome than Jude. His playboy manners are too infamous in ton. Some noblemen even made bets openly. Saying Julia Knight would never succeeded in tying him up in marriage.

Jude says, "A bunch of losers. When you are in love, you would get fooled again and again."

Tristan protests, "Jude, people in love aren't losers. They are brave folks. They dare to give their hearts to someone else. Ready to be hurt."

"Like I said. Losers. There is no logic in love."

Tristan sighs.

He says, "One day, when you fall in love, you would understand. Love is worthy of all the risks."

Jude is silent.

Tristan has left while holding a glass of champagne. The ballroom is too crowded. Tristan has decided to leave to get fresh air. He drinks up the champagne and leaves the glass to a waiter.

In a garden well illuminated with lanterns hanged on trees.

Suddenly he hears, "Tristan, are you okay?"

Jules look pretty tonight in her dark blue silk dress. She has slim figure. There aren't many laces on her dress. Only few laces around her neckline. The dress is simple but elegant style.

Tristan smiles weakly to her.

He says, "Jude said people in love are morons."

"Oh, Tristan..."

"I've given up on him, Jules. He would never be with me. Guessed I have known it from the start. It's time to wake up from this silly dream."

"It's good to give up early. Tris, you deserve someone who loves you."

"I know. That's why I'm going away."

Jules looks shocked.

She asks immediately, "Where are you going?"

"Somewhere. When I couldn't see Jude, I would finally stop thinking of him."

"Tristan, you don't have to go anywhere..."

Tristan smiles to her. She's a woman. They are still best friends. Maybe she's the only one who accepts him without judging him. Not everyone could accept a gay like him.

He gives her an advice, "You should stop too. That man doesn't deserve your undying love."

"You mean Daniel? I'm doing this for money."

"Stop fooling yourself. Take care. We won't see each others again for a while."

Jules grabs his arm and she stares his eyes. Tristan looks devastated. She gives him a good hug.

"Take care. Don't forget to write for me."

"Of course. I'll come back once I have settled my heart."