Chapter Two: Settle In

Vani

Nintendo $hawty by Ambré blasts through my speakers as I cruise through Buckhead to my mom's shared practice. My dad sent me here to grab my mom's set of keys from Mrs. Lynn, Max's mom. They've been friends since the sandbox.

My mom met my dad back home and Mrs. Lynn went to college and "found her a white boy" as my granddaddy would say. Max is just the right mixture between the both of his parents. He had big green eyes with brown flakes, tan skin, a chubby, but sculpted face, curly brown hair, and his mom's full lips. Max has a head of wild Ginger colored hair that he gets from his grandma on his dad's side. He's always been like a little brother to me, especially since that's how we were brought up.

When I got to the practice, movers were bringing in furniture and equipment. When I walked in, I saw Mrs. Lynn pointing where to put everything they were bringing in.

"Hey Van, your dad told me that you were gonna be coming to get your mom's keys since they're still getting unpacked. Come on into my office." She said after hugging me and kissing my forehead.

Mrs. Lynn look amazing to be 45. She stood at 5'10, which towered over my 5'4 frame; the strong jawline and cheekbones that Max inherited, full lips, hazel eyes, jet black curls that were pulled up in a bun, and her complexion was a warm sepia color, somewhat like leaves that fall during the cool autumn days. She was so sweet and her voice calmed me down whenever I was irritated. She was somewhat of a voice of reason whenever I would get into it with my mom.

"You doing soccer this year, Vani? I tried to get myself and Max down there as much as we could to see you play."

"Yeah, I heard McEachern has a decent program. I know scouts were looking at me last year but hopefully they really do this year."

"Me too sweetie. I heard this morning was kinda rough, are you doing okay baby?" She asked as I settled into the rolling chair.

"It wasn't too bad, just momma being her usual self. Sometimes I think she don't like me or she at least questions if I'm her child." I said picking a piece of dried paint off of my sleeve.

"Come here," I slid the rest of the way to her desk and she grabbed my hands, "If I know anything about Ameil Shareè Day, I know she loves you and Sammy like no other."

"I know that, it's just I'm the complete opposite of Sammy and I think I'm a disappointment in her eyes sometimes."

She grabbed me up and held me close to her chest, rubbing my hair and patting my back. I relaxed into her touch and she kissed my head.

"Avani, you are not a disappointment to your momma. You gotta realize she just wants the best for y'all. Sammy has always looked up to and wanted to be like her. You have the spirit like your aunty. She is the reason you tapped into your artistic side baby. You gotta take the good with the bad sometimes. You only get one mother, as much as y'all argue and disagree, you gotta love each other that much more. Ameil loves you dearly, she just uses her left side of her brain more and you use your right. You just have to introduce her to your world more and she might come around." She said wiping a stray tear from my face.

I wish it wasn't so hard for me and my mom to get along. We have our good days but our bad days outweighs the good immensely.

"You know I'm always here to talk, always. Gone ahead and start making your way back home cause that mid day traffic ain't nothing to play with." She said hugging me one more time and walking me back to my car.

After she kissed my forehead one last time, my phone started going off, I pulled it out of my pocket expecting it to be one of my parents but it was Zach. I picked up after the third ring and heard him yelling something at somebody and the noise of tools.