Chapter 5: Late Nights, Early Mornings

Sharife

Practice was brutal

I threw my head back and closed my eyes as I compressed my legs. Tired isn't even the word I would use to describe how I felt. I was at practice for hours, even staying after it was over in order to be ready this upcoming season.

"Baby boy, you want something before I leave up out this kitchen?"

"Bring me a Gatorade please!" I answered.

Imani came in the living room, handing me my Gatorade and sitting down next to me, helping me take off my compression boots.

I scrolled through my burner account on Instagram when I came across Soma's finsta. She was with Koi, Vani, and Umi, and they were all dancing to Meg the Stallion and Vani was twerking in her ice bath.

"Who is shorty with the dream catcher on her thigh? I don't remember seeing her with them before." Omar asked walking in and sitting on the other side of me.

"That's Avani, she just moved up here."

"She's pretty, do your antisocial ass talk to her at all?" Imani said eating a fruit snack.

"I think that's the girl his ugly ass be on the phone with all the time." Omar answered making me roll my eyes.

Before I could even say anything back, my phone started ringing,

Soma🤗🖖🏾🖕🏾would like to FaceTime?

I answered and Soma's head popped into view.

"Hey fucker, what you doing?"

"A whole lotta nothing. I'm sitting with Mani and Mar ugly ass." I said and they both popped their heads into view.

"Hey my babies, y'all, Omar and Imani on the phone."

The rest of the girls popped up next to Soma and I smiled when I saw Vani. She had her hair pulled back and a small smile graced her face.

"Hi Avani."

"Hey Sharife."

"Get a fucking room you two, y'all eyefucking each other and it's making me uncomfortable." Soma said breaking the silence along with Imani and Omar laughing.

I didn't realize how long we had been staring at each other and smiling until Soma said something. I could tell Vani was somewhat embarrassed because of how fast she looked away.

"Oh shut up. Where are y'all at anyway, it's dark as shit."

"We ain't have shit to do so we started walking around the neighborhood. We damn near by your house, come outside."

"Go 'head, we'll cover for you if momma or pops ask where you went." Imani said after Soma hung up the phone.

I put on a pair of my slides and snuck out of the side door. I jogged down my drive way to see the girls sitting on the curb, talking. Vani was laying on Koi's legs with her eyes closed, laughing at whatever Umi said.

Even though it was dark as hell, the moon still showcased her beauty. Once I made it all the way down the drive way, Vani opened her eyes and hopped up. I motioned for her to come to me and she obliged. Her oversized tie dye hoodie swallowed her petite frame but I could still see her curves and the other elements of her outfit; Especially the black nike spandex that sculpted her behind and I had to resist my urge to smack or grab her ass.

Lord have mercy on me. I don't know how much strength you've given me, but I know I can't do nothing that I'm not completely sure that she's cool with.