Chapter 3: First Day

Vani

"Syd, come on. Get up! I know you don't want momma coming up these steps to get you." I opened my eyes and grabbed my phone.

5:45.

"Fuck, I can't keep getting up this early."

"What are you talking about? This is the first day you done got up early." I rolled over and looked at Sammy and her growing stomach.

"Exactly, I can't keep doing this shit." I said throwing my head back on my pillows.

"Come on, I brought a peace offering." She said smiling.

"If it ain't gone keep up for the next eight consecutive hours, ion want it."

She grabbed a plate from off of my dresser and put it in front of me. I smiled and pulled her down on my bed.

"Awww, you made me cinnamon rolls."

"I been making 'em every year you've been going to school. This year ain't no different." She said as I took a bite of one and she ripped a piece off the other.

"Plus, it's your senior year at a new school. I had to hook your ugly ass up one last time." She said laughing.

"What time were you up 'til last night?"

"I don't know, maybe one or two?" I shrugged, yawning in the process.

"Girl you gone lose your mind if you sleep like that. You need to find something other than drawing to calm you down."

"Why?"

"Cause I know you. You'll get started on something, lose track of time, then you look up and it's five hours later." I rolled my eyes at her correct assumption and finished my food.

Just as I was about to lay back down for at least fifteen minutes, my mom barged into my room, making me shoot back up.

"Good morning Avani, it's time to get ready for school." She said stepping closer to me.

"Is that paint on your face?" She asked, grabbing my face and turning it.

"Go shower, you smell like art supplies and start getting ready." She said walking to her room.

I looked at Sammy who shrugged and laid back on my bed. I made my way into my bathroom and told Alexa to play 6LACK. Learn Ya played throughout my bathroom as I started to shower. Different hues of yellow and blue started to wash off of my body as I hummed along with the lyrics. After I finished showering and moisturizing, I brushed my teeth before I sprayed my hair to make it softer and easier to deal with.

4c hair ain't no mafuckin joke, nor is it willing to be played with.

I picked it out and parted it into three different sections so I could braid it and slick it up. Once I finished my hair, I made my way back into my room to see Sammy going through my makeup and that she had already picked out my outfit.

"Since when did you become my stylist?" I asked hanging my towel up and grabbing underwear.

"Oh shut up, it's your senior year. I want you to actually dress up because knowing you, you'd probably put on some sweats and call it a day." I tilted my head and gave her a look, knowing she just read me for filth.

"Exactly, bring your ass on. I'm about to do your makeup too, come on." I grabbed my phone from its charger and went through my notifications.

One notification stood out the most,

SC2💫 sent you a chat

The last couple of days, we've been getting to know each other a little bit more and just listening to each other ramble on about nothing.