Chapter 16: Truths Discovered

Vani

I pulled up to my house and saw everybody's cars parked out front. I grabbed my bag of snacks and walked up the steps when I heard yelling.

"Why do they always do this shit?"

I stood outside of the door, fiddling with my keys when I heard Marie raise her voice.

"....FAMILY! I'm telling her and it ain't shit you can do to stop me!" I opened the door and everybody turned and looked at me.

"What is it that she needs to tell me?" I said walking in and shutting the door.

"Vani, did you not get my text?" Sammy said waddling over to me and grabbing my arm, trying to pull me upstairs.

"No, I haven't even checked my phone." I said trying to pull away from her.

"Samantha you better not take her up them damn steps! Vani we need to talk."

"Marie, if you open your goddamn mouth I will do everything in my po-"

"Ameil you can kiss my black ass, I ain't keeping this a secret any longer. Vani you know I love you with everything in me right?" She said reaching out and grabbing my hand.

"Yeah, but why does that matter right now?"

"Marie, I don't think you know the effect this is gonna have if you say what you're about to say." My dad said holding my mom's hand to keep her from pacing.

"Can y'all quit beating around the damn bush?! What the hell is going on?" Marie pulled me in closer and she got teary-eyed.

"Avani, we've been lying to you. Samuel and Ameil aren't your parents."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"MARIE, IM WARNING YOU!"

"Go to hell Ameil. Avani baby what I'm tryna say is, Sammy isn't your sister, Samuel isn't your father, and Ameil isn't your mother." I snatched away from her and I felt heat building in my chest.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I looked around the room and they all put their heads down.

"MOMMA WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN! SAMMY, DADDY? Somebody needs to tell me what the FUCK is happening?"

"Avani cal-" Marie reached out to grab my hand and I pulled away, making her step back and she pursed her lips, tears falling.

"Don't tell me to calm down, tell me what you you're trying to get at?" I said pacing back and forth, seething with anger.

"Avani what I'm trying to say is, I'm your biological mother."

I felt all of the air get knocked out of my chest and I stumbled back into a couch. I squeezed onto the the cushion as hard as I could, trying to find some type of air to breathe.

"You are lying."

"I swear Ava-"

"YOU'RE LYING! Daddy tell her that she's lying. Sammy, Momma, some damn body, please tell me that she's lying!"

"Vani, come here." Sammy said trying to grab my hand.

"Don't touch me. Somebody needs to tell me the truth." I said as calmly as I possibly could.

"I swear I'm telling the truth Avani; Tell her Ameil." Marie said turning to my mom.

I looked over at my "parents" and they looked at each other, their faces no longer hiding their shame.

"Baby she isn't lying. Just listen to us for a secon-" My dad started but I cut him off.

"NO! Momma, is she lying?" She kept her head down and I moved closer to them.