four

Staring in my long mirror, currently only propped up against my bare bedroom wall, I fidget in my shimmering, black dress. It's relatively high necked but short and form-fitting, revealing my long legs, which I know Beau will like. The new pair of stilettos I'm wearing will make me only a couple of inches shorter than him, and I try not to dwell on how close that will bring our lips, the thought alone setting fire to my core.

Frowning slightly in the mirror, I recall how little self control I had when he'd asked me to his house for dinner following our coffee date. Fueled partly by curiosity - I've never seen where Beau lives, the only exception being when he was living out of the tour bus and hotel rooms, and truly unable to resist that devilish grin of his, I caved almost immediately.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," I mutter to myself, grabbing my purse and phone from my bed anyways. So much for taking things slow. I try not to think of Nadine's disapproving look the other night, one that supported my own doubts, and focus instead on walking in these heels.

I make my way through the relatively empty condo and vow to begin unpacking when I get home this evening. I'm actually pretty excited to see the place transform into my own home, but at the moment, I just have other places to be. With one last look in the mirror by my door, I head out, hoping I'm not making a huge mistake.

The butterflies swarm in my belly like crazy the entire drive to the address Beau texted me earlier today. Pulling into a long, secluded driveway, lined by thick forest, I park on the semi circle, brick pathway in front of a massive house, centered in a huge plot of land. Gazing up through my car window, I shake my head. I shouldn't have expected anything less.

Pulling my dress down my thighs, I cautiously make my way up the impressive staircase under the carport. Raising my hand to knock at the door, I feel my heart hammering in my chest and try to steady my breathing. Before my knuckles hit the door, it's swung open, revealing Beau, dressed up in black jeans and a crisp white button up, chest tattoos peeking through the opened top buttons in a way that begs for me to trail my fingers over them.

My breath catches in my throat as he grins down at me, green eyes intense on my face.

"Hey, Emma." Beau bites his bottom lip and my belly does a somersault inside as he takes in my outfit slowly, my skin bursting into flames wherever his eyes trail my body.

"Beau," I say breezily, ducking under his arm as he shoves the door open for me to enter the grand foyer.

Our bodies graze each other as I pass by and I'm sure he feels the electricity between us like I do. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up straight at the minimal contact and I have to remind myself how to breathe.

"So this is your place?" I spin on the sleek marble floors, taking in the open floor plan and abstract art on the walls. "It's not what I expected," I admit, stepping back a couple of feet to create some distance between us. The closer I am to him, the more intoxicated I feel, and the less likely I am to maintain my resolve.

"What was it that you expected?" Beau cocks his head to the side, his half-up ponytail falling over his shoulder as he does. My heart lurches at the familiar habit, aching for him more than ever before.

Before I can reply, the clatter of nails on marble catches my attention, just in time to see a large German Shepherd barreling towards me. "Oh!" I squeal, already too late.

"Zeus, no!" Beau shouts, but as he mentioned at Nana's funeral - the dog doesn't listen. Unable to react quickly enough, I'm thrown onto my butt as the furry beast jumps all over me, trying to lather my face with kisses. "Shit, sorry, Emma. Zeus, off!" Beau's voice is stern, but still, the dog doesn't release me, wagging his tail happily as if to tell Beau to screw himself. As Beau struggles to grapple Zeus off of me, I let out a laugh, making my way back into a standing position.