thirty-one

EMMA

Beau was silent the entire walk back to our hotel, not even cracking a smile when Zeus tried to plow down an expensively dressed woman carrying a toy poodle in her purse. The disdain on her face was clear, not just for the dog but for the dark haired, sad eyed man whom he belonged to. Normally, Beau would've rolled his eyes at her dramatics, or at the very least snickered as we left, but he only tugged a bit at Zeus's leash and kept walking with his head down.

I peek a glance at him in the elevator now, nose scrunched up in disgust as a man wearing foul cologne enters with us. The atmosphere is tense as Beau watches the little red light marking each floor we pass. His eyes, my favorite shade of green, seem dark and heavy, his brows furrowed above them, deeply creasing his forehead. The little muscle in his jaw has been flexed since the cemetery.

My own head is spinning as I stare at the toes of my converse sneakers, wishing there were words I could say that would make him feel better. But I know firsthand that there aren't any. It's discomforting - knowing that someone you love is hurting, but having no way to fix it.

The name Claire Lewis is like a neon sign in my mind and I can't help but think about her. About the woman who mothered this man I love. The protective part of me is angry, reminding me that she's also the one who let him down.

I sneak another peek in Beau's direction. Zeus's impatient panting is the only sound until the elevator pings for the man's stop. Beau relaxes slightly when he's off, letting out the breath he'd been holding to keep the stench away, but doesn't inch his stare from straight ahead of him.

"Beau," I whisper, tugging his hand gently.

His gaze flickers to me and then back up again, hands fiddling with the studs on Zeus's leather leash. The air gets thicker, like there's an actual wall slowly rising between us and my heart clenches tightly in my chest.

I try again, voice a little stronger this time despite the fact that I'm all but begging him to acknowledge me. "You can talk to me,"

A loud chime and a sudden jolt bring us to our floor. Just this morning, Beau called reception to have someone bring my bags to his suite and now I'm not so sure if he'll still like the idea. As soon as the doors glide open, Beau is swiftly through them and trudging down the hall to our suite, Zeus dutifully trotting by his side.

I follow a few steps behind wordlessly, feeling the warmth that's accompanied my time with Beau lately dissipating. Tears well in my eyes before I step into our room. I've braved a Beau cold-front before, but it never fails to hit me right in the gut. It's worse knowing that this time, the emotional toll might be too much on him - just enough to send him over the edge and take him away from me, especially if he closes in on himself.

That can't happen.

He moves about the room slowly, mechanically, putting Zeus's leash away, sitting on the bed, removing his boots. But he never meets my eyes, although I'm sure he must feel me staring.

"Please don't do this," I hate that it comes out a whimper but the weight on my chest and the lump in my throat make it hard to do much else.

If he hears me, Beau makes no indication. Instead he stands slowly and removes his shirt. Dropping his pants as he goes, Beau enters the bathroom in just his boxers, a towel in his hands. I wait a moment to see if he'll come back, and foolishly let myself hope that he will. The sound of the water running is like a stinging slap.

My chin quivers as I flop onto the mattress and Zeus hops up beside me, instantly licking the salty tears from my cheeks. I wipe at them furiously, running my fingers through Zeus's thick fur.