nine

Raised temper mixes with embarrassment inside me and my hands shake with frustration. As I grab my things from the adjoining bathroom and stuff them into my duffel bag haphazardly, I hear someone approaching from behind me. Biting my tongue before lashing out, I hear Adam's voice and relax just slightly.

"Hey, you're not really leaving right?" I turn to find him leaning against the doorframe, the way he does at my office all of the time. Meeting his eyes, I feel my cheeks flush, wondering what he thinks about me, now that the secret is definitely out. I'd been naive before - secretly hoping no one would connect the dots, at least not to my face. Not because I'm embarrassed of Beau, but because I know no one takes the relationship, or me, for that matter, seriously once they find out.

Sighing, I shake my head and speak honestly. "I don't know Adam, it's obvious what everyone thinks of me, so why bother? I don't think more 'Never Have I Ever' is going to change that,"

Looking to the expensive tile flooring, his brows furrowed over his eyes, he mutters, "It's not what I think of you."

Instantly, my shoulders slump and guilt fills me up. "I know that, I didn't mean you, too." Actually, I hadn't known that, but it's nice to hear, anyways. Immediately, I feel more at ease, knowing there's at least one person here who doesn't consider me a slutty sell-out. I almost smirk as Chloe's words ring loudly in my head all of this time later.

Watching his sad smile stretch across his face, I groan inwardly. Here I go, again. "Fine, I'll stay." I give in, "But I'm not staying in this room."

"I'd switch with you, but I'm sharing a room with Wren." His thick brows come together over his eyes as he pouts in frustration. I shutter at the thought of spending a night in the same room as the man, especially after our little game.

I shrug, throwing my bags over my shoulder. "I'll sleep outside."

"You'll what?" Adam scoffs, dark eyes crinkled at the corners with his large smile.

"I used to do it with my parents all the time," I explain. "You know, stargazing and all of that?" While the idea was mediocre a minute ago, nostalgia tugs at my heart strings and surprisingly, brings moisture to my eyes. Shoot, being here is harder than I thought it would be. I'd expected Tori and Lizzie to be mean, but I never thought I'd get so emotional all these years after my parents death.

Shocking me, Adam leans off the door frame and nods. "I'll go with you,"

My hearts warms at his offer. "You don't have to do that, Adam. I'll be fine."

Following me into the bedroom, he replies, "I'm sure you will be. But I'd still like to come with you, if that's okay? I've never slept outside before, at least not without a tent."

Holding back my smile, I shrug. "Fine with me,"

I check my watch as Adam digs through the cooler, grabbing us a couple more beers. It's already 2AM but since we've come out here, there hasn't been an awkward moment yet. We've laughed about our childhood stories, got into a heated debate about what breed of dog is best (I immediately answered German Shepherd, when until recently, I'd always wanted a beagle. I didn't let myself dwell too much on my recent change of heart, instead conceding when Adam made a strong argument for golden retrievers), and now I'm listening to Adam gush over his childhood crush.