eighteen

By some miracle, I finally get my feet to work, propelling me forward to block Beau from reaching Adam, who is still completely oblivious. Thank God. Placing my hands firmly on Beau's chest, I barely register to him, his sight above my head, sending glares to the table.

"Beau, please." I raise my hands to his neck, trying to tug his gaze to my eyes. "Whatever she said, I promise it's not true. We can talk about it, but you have to calm down." His eyes shoot down to me then, hard and full of fury. "Please,"

"How long have you been sleeping with Adam?" His words cut through me like a knife, his eyes staring down at me, harsh and unflinching.

"What?" I drop my hands from his chest, shock and hurt rolling through my body.

"How long?"

"Beau, I haven't, I don't even know what you're talking about," I look quickly between him and Lizzie, wondering what she could've shown him to make him react like this - to think I'd cheat on him.

His expression doesn't change. "She showed me, Emma. I saw it,"

"Saw what?!" I hear my own voice raising louder as my anger builds inside me. "Did you see us having sex, Beau? Is that what you saw? Because if it's not - you have no reason to accuse me of cheating on you,"

Brows furrowed, Beau shakes his head, running long fingers through his hair. "I don't know, Emma. I just..." His voice trails off as he argues with himself, body still tense with agitation.

"Let's just go." I shake my head. "We'll go home and talk about this. But not here," I touch my palm to his cheek to try and calm him somewhat. My eyes flash to Lizzie now at the table again with the others, laughing loudly with a smug expression. "Please, let's not do this here."

Finally, Beau lowers his head and meets my gaze, eyes softening just a little bit. Wordlessly, he makes his way to the table, grabs his denim jacket, and storms away, not saying goodbye to anyone.

I reluctantly follow after him, sending an apologetic look to Adam on my way. "Wren, Adam - I'll see you on Monday. It was lovely meeting you, Delilah." I offer her my most genuine smile before leaving the bar, not acknowledging Lizzie or Tori as I go.

***

BEAU

The silence on our way back to Emma's place is deafening, worse than any crowd I've ever performed for. She's pissed. I peer at her from the corner of my eye, her own gaze staring straight ahead at the road. Well, I'm pissed too.

Do I have a tendency to overreact? Could I have handled myself better at the bar? Yes to both, probably. But that girl, Lizzie, and her stupid picture just made me so fucking mad.

"I wish my boyfriend was as chill as you, if a guy even blinks in my direction he's ready to rip his head off." She sipped her martini like a horse, I remember thinking.

"What's that?" I muttered, not paying attention but scanning the crowd for Emma. I couldn't stay anymore, the tequila drenching her clothes sent me over the edge. I needed to leave.

"I just mean with how close Adam and Emma are and everything," She shrugged.

Leave it be, Beau, my mind scolded.

"Right," I rolled my eyes, trying to move around her body without touching her.

"Oh! That reminds me," She waved at me over her shoulder; she looked amused, like she'd just heard a joke. Little did I know that joke was on me. "Come here,"