twenty-one

EMMA

Stifling a yawn, I jab at the buttons on the break room coffee machine. You'd think for all of my time working in Nadine's coffee shop, there wouldn't be a beverage appliance I can't use.

And yet... I grumble at the machines various buttons and settings, scouring the touchscreen for anything that just says coffee.

Giving in, I slump over in one of the chairs around the large conference table and lay my head down, cursing myself for staying on the phone with Beau for so long the past few nights. A new wave of concern washes over me - I loved our conversation last night, but something seemed... off. It wasn't anything Beau said, or even really how he said it. But I just have a feeling and can't figure out what it means yet.

The sound of the break room door squeaking open makes me reluctantly lift my head from the table.

Jess grins at me, her own empty mug in her hands. "Long night?"

I nod, holding back another yawn. "Didn't get much sleep,"

"I'll make two cups then," She busies herself grabbing the cream from the fridge while the machine whirs to life. I scowl at it as it spews delicious smelling liquid into a mug.

Lizzie comes through the door next. I frown somewhat - I'm normally so careful to avoid her breaks. I really must be exhausted.

She tosses her curls over her shoulder, like she has no cares in the world, but makes a point to say hello to Jessica only. I hold back an eye roll, perfectly content if we never speak.

As she flits around the break room, she makes exceptionally friendly small talk with Jess, acting as though there's no one else there. "I can't wait for this weekend - Tori and I are going to take a train into the city and treat ourselves to a spa day,"

"Better than my weekend plans," Jess chuckles, sliding my mug across the table. "Looks like a movies and takeout night for me,"

My thoughts fade into a daze of tired thoughts while they chat. I only notice Lizzie leave because she shoots me a sinister grin before she lets the door shut. I shake it off, too sleep deprived to care.

"So that's still going on, huh?" Jess ventures quietly, staring into the steaming mug. I shrug half-heartedly, taking a sip of my own coffee despite the scalding temperature. "You know, if you ever want me to talk to Shannon,"

"No!" I snap my head up in Jess's direction. "Sorry, but please don't bother Shannon with this. It's fine, really."

There's no way I'll have Shannon finding out that hiring me also brought along a lot of drama. I can keep my head down, ignore Lizzie and Tori, and get my work done. I don't need anyone fighting this battle for me. Especially not my boss.

"Okay. If you ever change your mind..." Jess offers a small smile.

I nod, grateful for the support but knowing I never will. "Thanks, Jess."

The rest of the afternoon goes by in a similar haze. I read and reread the manuscripts in front of me but can't pay attention, my sleeplessness mixing with the anxious feeling deep down that Beau isn't telling me something. When the clock finally reads five o'clock, I shoot up from my desk, my things already packed, and exit the building without even waiting for Adam.