seventeen

EMMA

A loud banging at my front door almost makes me slip in the shower. Rushing to rinse the suds from my hair, I hop out of the hot stream, feeling some left over shampoo as water dribbles down my back. I quickly towel dry and put on my bathrobe before making my way downstairs, the smooth silk grazing my freshly shaven legs.

"Alright, I'm coming," I groan as another pounding rattles the door on its hinges. Normally, I wouldn't even bother answering if I'm not expecting anyone. But lately, with Gemma around more, I've had to learn to welcome unexpected visits.

"God, Gem, it's called patience," I roll my eyes as I swing the door open wide, but can only stare dumb-founded, when I reveal who was behind it. "Beau? What're you-"

He interrupts me by bending to wrap his arms around me tightly, face nestled into my neck. His breath tickles my skin as I finally return the gesture, his familiar smell floods my senses. I try not to be surprised that I don't detect any alcohol on him, instead relishing in the sweet smell of his skin.

This is so much better than an old t-shirt, I sigh, letting my body melt into his as I exhale. God, I missed this.

After a couple of seconds, Beau lets me go and meets my eyes, his face serious. The air between us is cool against my skin and I long to be wrapped up in his warmth again. Thoughts of him with Jace and Rey nag at me, reminding me to stand my ground.

"I'm sorry Emma, I fucked up." His eyes search my face intently, dark brows crinkled above them.

The apology surprises me; I'm not used to hearing those words from Beau's lips so easily. It's not hard to stay mad at him when he isn't around. But staring at him now, dark, crazy hair pushed off his face to reveal clear, green eyes, a bouquet of sunflowers in his hand, I feel my icy resolve melting.

"Beau, what're you doing here?" Suddenly I feel silly standing in the doorway, so I step aside and let him in, crossing my arms over my chest. "What about the tour?"

He shrugs, running a hand through his bed head. "We have a day in between shows and I was close." He looks to his black combat boots shyly. "I know I messed up, I just want to make it better."

His expression is so innocent and torn, and I can't help but give into him - anything to get things feeling back to normal between us.

"Oh, Beau." I sigh, raising my arms to him again and letting him hold me close to his chest. "Next time you can just call and apologize, you know?"

He cocks his head to the side like a confused puppy.

"Don't you miss me?" A smirk plays at the corners of his lips as he twists a strand of my damp hair between his long, tattooed fingers.

"Of course I do," I nod, heart beat quickening. "I just meant... I'm sure you have people looking for you," Rey, my thoughts remind me, Jace. Rocco, more realistically.

Once more, he shrugs, expression indifferent. "With the way you look in that bathrobe," He smirks his Cheshire Cat smile, eyes twinkling deviously as he tugs the edge of my robe. "The president of the United States could be looking for me by name and I wouldn't care."

I roll my eyes, playfully swatting his hands away to distract him from the blush building in my cheeks. It's been so long since I've gotten to touch him... my eyes trail down his torso, chest tattoos exposed through the couple of undone top buttons.

"I actually was getting ready," I mutter sheepishly, making myself refocus on his face.

"For?" He slumps into my couch, already more relaxed, and lays the sunflowers on the table. "Those are yours,"