fourteen

EMMA

"So this Gemma, tell me, what should I be expecting?" Adam's friend, Connor, smiles at me before taking a sip of his coffee. Beside him, Adam chuckles, probably recalling the stories I've shared about Gemma and her ... spontaneous ways. Eyeing him skeptically over my own iced mocha, I turn my attention to Connor, trying to decide how much to give away and how much to let him discover for himself.

Connor is friendly enough, and if Adam likes him, then I trust that he's a good guy. But Gemma has been a constant in my life when I haven't had many and I'm still a little dubious of the whole plan. She has a history of picking rotten apples - I don't need to help her find another.

"She's amazing, really, always the life of the party and up for anything, but at the same time, she's the most loyal person I've ever met." I chuckle, the day some years back when Gemma nearly jumped a table to defend me present in my mind. "She-"

I'm interrupted by the metallic chime of Nadine's door bell, followed by a sing-song shout that I know all too well. "Honey, I'm home!"

Meeting Connor's eyes once more, I scrunch my nose at him. "She knows how to make an entrance,"

"Emmy, my love," Her delicate arms circle around my neck from behind my chair and I lean back into her chest. "Where's Nadine?"

"Sick today," I stand, gesturing across the table to Adam and Connor, who have both stood to greet her. "This is Adam, my friend from work. And this is his college roommate, Connor." I watch as Gemma's eyes hungrily take in Connor's appearance - tall, broad shouldered, with hair and eyes almost darker than the night sky, he's perfect for her on paper. But can he keep up with that devious side of hers? Adam thinks so - the blind date was actually his idea to begin with.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, I've heard great things." Connor's shy smile is different than the one he wore just moments before, and suddenly, I think Adam might have been up to something after all.

"Well boys, I'm sorry to keep you waiting, but this girl has gotta eat, and soon." She pats her belly before flicking strawberry blonde hair over her shoulder and making her way to the counter, towards a young girl furiously working to keep up with the orders coming in. I catch myself watching her when Adam interrupts my thoughts.

"So this was your first job?" Adam grins, teeth brilliant against his dark skin. "I'm not going to lie, this is pretty much exactly what I would expect."

"Really?" I laugh, twisting my straw between my fingers. "What did you do, you know, before college internships and all that?" I open the question up to the guys, not wanting to get into other positions I've had, ones Adam probably wouldn't have expected.

"I worked in a place like this actually," Connor looks around the shop, "My parents own a diner so I was their go-to bus boy,"

I smile sympathetically as Adam blushes, distracting himself with the salt remnants on the table top.

"What about you?" I ask him directly.

"Me?" He mutters before regaining his normal, easy confidence. "I actually didn't work until college, my parents... they wanted me to focus on school." He shrugs, almost as if he's ashamed, and I feel my own brows furrow.

Does he think that changes what I think of him? Had Mom and Dad been alive, would I have ever worked here? The many hours I've spent in this coffee shop are ingrained in me, woven into the fabric of my soul, but what if I never had to fill out the application? My own parents probably would've been the type to push school, much like Adam's, had they gotten the chance.