thirty-six

EMMA

Walking up to the suite alone, I feel numb. Zoey, blonde and brown eyed like me, but awash with pregnancy glow, is the only thing I can see in my mind. That, and the look on Beau's face when he saw her. Beck and Zoey said she was just an ex from before he left to LA, but if that's true... why did he look so devastated? Why are we fighting over her now?

With an exasperated sigh, I swipe the keycard and brace myself as Zeus jumps up to his hind legs to greet me. I pet him sadly, letting a couple of tears slip down my cheeks. I wanted Beau's birthday to be special this year - I never thought brunch could go so horribly and ruin the whole day.

Settling onto the plush mattress, I debate calling the reception desk to tell them not to bring up the guitar. Something tells me we won't be in the mood for celebrating tonight. Will Beau even want me at the show? I bite my lip nervously before cuddling under the heavy hotel comforter, Zeus curling up at my side.

Beau and I have been doing so much better at communicating and understanding each other. What if we really aren't that much better off this time, after all we've been through? Despite all his changes, there's still so much I don't know about him or who he was before he became Beau Lewis - rock star with walls so high, you need a bulldozer to break through.

I grab my phone to call Nadine and get her perspective when a text comes through from Adam. I open it, grinning sadly at the photo of Nadine and Gemma at the coffee shop, their boyfriends laughing with them cheerfully. Attached to the photo is Adam's message: "Really can't wait for you to get back. Fifth wheeling these lovebirds gets worse every day."

I text a quick message back letting him know how much I miss them all and rest my phone on the bedside table. Nadine looked too happy in the picture to be brought down by my drama. It's nice to see her so carefree - she's always so high strung, being the one to take care of everyone and everything.

They all looked so happy, I realize with another sigh. For just a second, I wonder what the photos the paparazzi snapped of Beau and I would show. Surely not a happy couple. As quickly as it came, I push the thought from my mind - one moment doesn't define our relationship.

Instead of calling Nadine, I stare at the ceiling, hoping for answers. Again, Zoey's face clouds my thoughts, so similar to my own. So what? I ask myself begrudgingly. Beau has a type, I'm not jealous. I'm not jealous.

I'm just tired of Beau's attitude when he gets upset, that's all. Maybe he has a point though, I argue with myself, turning over and over in bed. Whether there's more to the story or not, I have to trust that he has his reasons, right?

My eyes grow heavy as I deliberate our argument again and again, until I finally drift to sleep, Zeus snoring loudly beside me.

I'm not sure how much time passes before the suite door finally swings open and Beau stomps through, waking me from my nap. I sit up groggily, trying to tame the blonde locks I can feel splayed out around my head.

"You came back," I mutter, rubbing my eyes. Zeus is standing on the bed now, happily hopping foot to foot, waiting for Beau to give him attention.

Beau cocks his head to the side, narrowing his eyes at me as he rubs Zeus's ears. "Did you think I wouldn't?"

I stare at my hands, nervously picking at my cuticles. It's not often that I'm the one apologizing to him, but ultimately, I think he was right. Attitude or not, I should've had his back.