Iida Orgin: Thou Art So Fair

We walked down the path on the outskirts of Spruce. Not much of the scenery had changed from the outside of this villa other than a drop off landslide next to a bubbling brook. The river was wide and ran rapidly. The sound of water rushing was quite soothing. "I was told to follow the river." Iida said. "The river is said to lead to a pond near Hickory and you will find your way out of the forest just north of there."

It was fascinating to hear. The other means of knowing your way around and out of the Great Forrest. It was so exciting. I had to write it down in my notes later. My dad used to be one of the few forest merchant brave enough to travel from our villa to another to sell our vegetables and return with new products safely. So, this was all so foreign to me.

By the time the light obscured our view of the path, we decided to set up camp. Uraraka worked on starting a fire with her magic, I fished for food to fry, and Iida gathered fresh drinking water. The fish was different in this area. They were bigger, prettier, and swam a lot slower than the bass in Evergreen. Maybe no one fished in this area to scare off the big ones often. Or perhaps they came out of at a different time than the others. Or maybe—

"Midoriya. Are you all set?"

Iida tapped my shoulder as I looked out and reeled in a third fish. He was holding three dented canteens of water. I was rambling to myself again. "Ah, yeah. I'm all set." I nodded, picking up my catches.

Uraraka has lit the fire by the time we returned and we were prepared dinner. After I gutted the three fish and stuck them on sticks by the fire to fry, I pulled out my book of legends. I would start to write of my travels in the back.

"So," Iida leaned forward from his blanket bed. "The two of you have lived here in the Great Forest your whole life. The vastest forest in all of Continent Academia. What's it like? Are there any bandits sightings, fun things to do, exploring?"

Uraraka and I looked at each other. I shook my head. "Not really. I was told to watch out for a one-eyed bat and a dark shadow nymph once. They were said to curse you if found. Even though I saw a bat once, it wasn't the right one. If anything, I spent many a days indoors at home studying creatures, resources, and history of Continent Academia." I said holding up my book of legends.

"Oh, I know this book." Iida flipped through the pages. "I read this book with my brother when I was a child. A lot of those legends are the rave in the backstreets and pubs of Altera. Good of you to venture out after one. Maybe I could teach you the triple left jab and fake out from All Might's legend." He smiled handing the book back to me. "My brother helped teach it to me once and you seem like the guy wouldn't just need it, but appreciate it."

I nodded with as the fire reflected in my eyes. How right he was. Finally, I'd be able to learn the ways of a sword!

"What about you, Uraraka? Are there any interesting creatures or sights in your home town?" Iida asked as another beast unmentioned crosses my mind.

"Dragons are a very common threat here." Uraraka said like she read my thoughts. "I heard a few kids were abducted from certain villa clearings when dragons were sighted circling the around in the air. So, it's important to always watch the skies so you aren't out when a dragon is on the move." Uraraka said with a worried look illuminating in the glow of the fire. I nodded as I dug my nails into my palms. Uraraka continued with a nervous laugh. "However, in terms of being raised in Elm Shire, I'd say we're the ones doing the scaring."

"Oh?" I looked at her with intrigue. Iida stroked his chin, still listening silently.

Uraraka nodded. "Yeah, it's kinda embarrassing. But when I told you not many people know about Elm, it can be scary for both us as villagers and travelers. If you don't recognize the passerby, we won't say anything and just watch them go from our home windows. For travelers, I can't help but wonder if they feel a heighten discomfort from being watched." She shuddered. Iida looked over his shoulder before nodding rapidly in agreement.

I swallowed hard at the thought. Her village was in this forest? What did it look like if one could simply wonder past it? "W-wow, Uraraka." I spoke up. "That's crazy. I can't even imagine the town curfew if you live like that in...Elm."

Uraraka pulled a crispy fish from the fire. "You get a sense of time when the adults stop roaming about. We often make sure to keep lanterns low or out. So, if you don't want to be left out in the dark..." She said sheepishly, biting into the fish with grace. The fire popped as Iida and I took our share.

"How about you, Iida? What is life like in a town like Altera? An entire town that surrounds the at the heart of the name..." I pondered. I read a book about the town in a book once. It had a lot of pictures. The thought of seeing an open view without having a tree or wood gate obscure you sight from seeing farther. Going to more than just one store to get food or material clothes. Houses lined on top of each other, side by side. Smooth stone roads. A fountain full of wish made coins. The little things to be seen in those pictures filled my mind with wonder.

Iida looked up from his fish with a sigh. "The town is very...lively. Especially when the markets are open in full swing. It isn't as carefree as you describe the ventures in the forest here, but it has a sense of rhythm that must be stepped to. With honor we soldiers step, like the beat of a snare drum, and somedays a tambourine." Iida chuckled, taking another bite of his fish, swallowing before he continued.

"Princess Mina Ashido is proving to be a wonderful young lady. A true image of youth, beauty, and truth. We all look forward to her crowning in the coming moons. I lived outside the palace entrance in a home built for guard members and their families. I would often see her highness playing in the courtyard in my younger days." He sighed. "Maybe one day, I could have the distinguished honor to guard her as my brother, Tensei Iida, did so before..."

The wind whisked among the trees and the cicadas cried as the fire blew near dim. Iida's expression shifted instantly. "Midoriya, behind you." He whispered cautiously, taking hold of his weapon.

Before he could finish, I heard a voice chuckle behind me. "Who's ther—?" I felt the pressure of sharp metal pressing itself against my throat. Dang it, my sword was inches away. Figures more would go wrong before first light out of the villa...but a bandit? In this tranquil forest? Hardly anyone got robbed out here...or so I thought.

"Oh, so you're the brother of Sir Tensei?" The voice snarled past my neck with glee. He wasn't talking to me. I could see Uraraka paralyzed where she sat, half eaten fish in hand. Iida started huffing through his nose, preparing to lunge. The blade at my bared down further on my gullet. "Ah-ah-ah. Let's not push any boundaries here. I won't let myself get killed by just anyone, much less a self righteous knight. More importantly, you shan't want your friend to be gutted like a cold cut, would you?" The voice hissed near my ear. He knew Iida? This wasn't good. This was personal.

I felt like I really was being a pig yet to be slaughtered in the midst of all this. But there was still time had to get out of this. What could I do? I had to help Iida and Uraraka get away. Then I could found a way to catch up. I just needed to act, and fast.

*****

Thank you for reading. Vote, comment, follow, share, and I'll see you in the next chapter. 😽