Hickory Dickory Tavern

(A/N: Before reading, I suggest to play the track I placed above as the chapter goes.^ It's a great instrumental and really embodies the tone I intended for this chapter.)

~Several hours later~

We arrived in Hickory Villa at the height of night, which was a little later than expected but the town was still looking lively at the hour and we were making great time.

Hickory Villa was said to be the liveliest of all the forest towns and one of the closest to the Great Forest Line. Not only was it a hub for those who did not wish to venture too far into the sea of trees, but it served as one of the few places where Altera set up a knight watchman team to report any emergencies. It also served as the best town square in the forest if you wanted any imports from any exotic places like Etna Mountain, Okoite, or Region 20 Hunting Grounds.

 It also served as the best town square in the forest if you wanted any imports from any exotic places like Etna Mountain, Okoite, or Region 20 Hunting Grounds

(A/N: Map extension. Again, pardon my art.)

Even at this hour, we could see certain market stands and restaurants still open. It was muggy in the heat of the night, but oh-so-lively. Like someone lit torches every night as if beckoning you to join the fun.

"We should have some dinner here." I said, enamored by the simmering smell of roast beef and stewed vegetables.

"We can't! We are on a strict schedule!" Iida said. "Get to Hickory, go to an inn, rest up, and move out bright and early. In the very least we must make it past the Great Forest Line by tomorrow evening! Now is not the time to be kicking back!"

"But Deku is right, we haven't eaten in a while. We could get something for all of us. That and we need directions to the forest line anyways. And I don't care if you guys insisted it, but I was not going to eat that oversized lizard and bat you caught back there. That's behavior practiced by my village and even I know that's not safe." Uraraka said, shaking her head.

"I disagree! Anything you find in the forest can be nutritious and should be appreciated in place of those who are less fortunate or starving. None of us have a merchant's certificate anyways." Iida insisted.

"That bat you caught was a questionable meal at best, sir knight. Are you sure you're feeling okay? Do you want me to mix you something for that future stomachache?"

"Now hold on a second here..!"

As the banter continued, I headed my way to where the smell was taking me. I passed by many marketable vegetables and weapons in the process. When I reached the height of the scent, I was at the entrance of a small bar connected to a bigger hut. Hickory Dickory Tavern/Inn. Its fancy, but faded, sign was jetting out from a stone overhang and some grimy adventurers swinging back and forth as they drunkly sang a hymn.

"Ohhhh wuh ohh ohh! Ohhhh, uh ohh ohh! Ohhhh uh ohh ohhh OHHHHH!!"

I smiled as they danced and swayed more freely due to their intake of "charisma juice." It must a have been a good selection to have had them singing at the top of their lungs at this hour. I could drink too. I was a social drinker when I rarely went out, enjoyed a flavor here and there. I never had a favorite, it was just something to do during a conversation. I just couldn't understand how some were reliant on it. I never found joy or easing of pain in it. Not even after the incident...