I. a week before the split

hello again, here's chapter 1!
I hope you enjoy :)

- Year 2270 -
"George~" A cheery voice sounded from behind him. "Oh George~" the voice rang out again.

"What do you want Clay?" George rolled his eyes, taking a break from the lines of code on his screen.

"I brought you something George~"

"Will you stop saying my name like that? What do y-" George swiveled his chair around to face Clay.

"I brought you a doughnut! They were serving them down in the cafe today and I even got you a chocolate one." Clay grinned, tossing George the boxed doughnut.

"Thank you," George started, placing the box on his desk. "But you know President R doesn't want us to have food in here."

"So what? It's our lab anyway." Clay shrugged. "Have you finished the code yet?"

George faces his screen, and felt pressure on the back of his chair where Clay had stuck his hand. He looked up, looking at Clay who was watching the lines of code on the screen.

"Not yet. You know it'd be a real help if you'd go to your desk and link up with me so we can work at it together right?" George snickered playfully.

"Yeah but watching you do all the work is way more fun." Clay replied, smiling down at George.

George scoffed, "Why'd I have to get paired with you? How did you even manage to get a job at ILES, with that stupid brain of yours?"

"You got paired with me because you love me. Also I hacked into their mainframe when I was 17 and instead of killing me they hired me." Clay let off of George's chair and walked to his own desk, a few feet away from George.

"Hold on." George paused to look at Clay, who was grinning. "You're telling me that 17 year old Clay Waken surpassed the security code? The BBH code that was cyber-secure for 50 years?"

"Nope. You're so gullible George." Clay laughed.

"Okay then why'd they let you in, for real this time."

"Because I did your mom."

"You're insufferable."

"You love me."

With that, it was back to work for the young minds. For the next two hours, they spent the time clicking away at keyboards and taking notes. They ran plugin after plugin on their computers to see which ones were more likely to succeed.

A large loading icon popped up on George's computer, and he decided to lay his head down for a bit.

Year 2269

"So, George." George's new partner began.

With a 'hm' George looked up. "Why are you so short? I thought everyone was at least 6 feet tall by now."

"Maybe you're just lucky. And no, there are plenty of shorter people than me." George watched as a smile crept onto Clay's face.

"What are you making that face for?"

"Oh nothing, you're just so cute George." Clay laughed. Clay's laugh came out as hot air from his nose instead of an audible laugh.