XIX. five and a half days until the merge

our clock is running out of time my friends.

Dream jolted awake, the world increasing into brightness as he looked around warily. The room he was in was still dark, illuminated by torches that spanned down a long corridor.

Clay?! Dream called out again. The absence of an answer was unsettling for Dream, the dark environment of this 'simulation' resting on top of the unease.

Dream looked down quickly, realizing that whatever shackles he had on before were gone. He sighed deeply, running his hands through his hair. Dream repeated, "What do I do? How do I get out of here?" nervously, pacing back and forth as his mind raced.

D-Dream? Clay's voice spoke in his head, groggy, almost pained.

Clay! Oh thank god are you in a simulation thing too?! Dream looked around instantly, looking around and scanning the dark corridor for any signs of Clay, there was a large metal door that he could barely see at the end. Above him was a glass roof.

Yes? I think so... I don't know. Clay sounded confused. How do you know my name?

Clay what are you talking about? You knew my name. We're the same person remember? Dream's heart dropped in his chest. ILES must have given something to Clay to make his memory foggy.

I- Where's George? Where am I? Clay's voice was growing worried as he paced around his own simulation. He was in a glass room, something like a spectator box. Directly below him he could see a perfectly lit up corridor, with switches, traps, and puzzles lining the walls.

George is okay. We were taken by ILES, they found out about us being able to talk like this and stuck us in here saying we had to escape. Can you see anything? Dream asked, he had to take the reigns this time, finally being in control of what he and Clay were doing was nice. If Clay wasn't in commission to help them get out. Who knows how much time they'd be spending in this simulations.

Who knows how much time had already passed?

I see a long hallway, it's got switches and stuff all the way down it but I'm not there I'm in a glass box. Clay explained, seeing something close to the corner of the room that looked like a person! Wait I think I see someone, is it you?

Dream looked around, being unable to see anything through the glass above him. There's glass above me so maybe. Dream walked out into the open some more and stood.

It looks like me so I'm guessing it is you. Clay walked on the glass, closer to where Dream was located. "Can you hear me?" Dream asked aloud, seeing Clay above him on the glass.

A little bit. Clay frowned, looking down a Dream. It's better if we talk like this.

Dream nodded. Okay so can you see anything out of the other sides?

It's just black. The only thing I can see is this long hallway beneath me. Clay looked around, seeing nothing but a flat wall of black void on the other side of his glass corridor box.

Are you able to see anything in the hallway? I can't see very well. Dream asked, squinting in hopes that maybe something could catch his eye.

It looks like there's some weird puzzles and stuff, maybe that's what they meant when they said we had to get out? Like I have to help you escape? Clay looked at the switches closest to Dream, they looked like they could be connected to the door. The metal door leads into another room exactly like this, I can see over the top of it.

So it's like a flick the right switches the door opens kinda thing? That's easy. Dream approached the door, seeing the five large switches Clay was referring to.

Bright letters popped up in front of Clay and he took a step back. Oh hold on a thing just showed up. It says: 'Hidden around this part of the test are letters that correspond to numbers. The letters are in different sizes. The smallest will come first in the code.' Well that's not fun. The bright words floated above the ground like a hologram, Clay read them again to himself.

So we have to find letters that match to numbers... and the bigger the letter is the further along it is in the code. Dream concluded. But where the hell would they hide them?

Clay searched the glass floor first, moving onto the void areas, just in case one would pop up. In the very corner of the room sat a tiny sized C. I've got one, it's a C. Clay picked it up and put it on the glass so that Dream could see it.

There's an E that's a little bigger on this lever right here. 2 of 5 isn't bad. Dream sighed, searching the room for another letter.

Was there anything where you first showed up at? Like in that corner?

Dream turned around and made his way over to the dark corner where he woke up. "Holy shit." He muttered. Why are we so smart? There's a big ass A on this tile.

Dream heard Clay laugh. He was happy they were finally getting along, even if it took a slight memory wipe on Clay to do so. He wondered to himself if they were going to be apart of ILES' elaborate scheme for the rest of their lives.

Even the doctor that diagnosed George works for ILES. Who knows how much their lives are intertwined with the company.

Yo, there's a huge B on these tiles but you can only see if from up here. Clay looked at the stone tiled floor to see a few of them were arranged in the pattern of a B. So all we need is a D.

Dream snorted. You got that right. But what if we put the letters in based on what we have? So We have C, E, A, B. Unless we're too stupid to find a big letter D it has to be one of the first three letters.

Dream approached the levers, looking at them.

I'm gonna do C, D, E, A, B first.

Dream flicked the third lever for C, hearing a small click as he did so. The light above it lit up green. He did the same to the fourth, but no light lit up so he returned it to normal. "E... D..." two more green lights lit up. "A... B..." a loud buzz sounded and the metal door slipped open with a whoosh.

"We did it!" Clay yelled from above him, rushing across the glass floor into the next room. Dream smiled and followed, gasping at what was in the next room.

It was a maze, lined with traps.

They HATE mazes.

1140 words.

So we only have a few more chapters left until the end of this book, so while I can still yell at you guys, check out my friend: Unknownuser55555